Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD & Low Milk Supply

Default OALD & Low Milk Supply

Can you have an over active letdown and a low milk supply? I feel like my milk supply is decreasing. We have been fight acid reflux which caused her to nurse not so well. However, i think I still have an over active letdown as she practically chokes for a few minutes after my milk lets down. My LO is almost 7 weeks old in case that matters, and up until a couple of weeks ago I would say I has a pretty good supply.
    Last edited by @llli*utmama; August 20th, 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: OALD & Low Milk Supply

It is possible, but it's unlikely. The more milk you have the faster it comes out, and the less milk you have, he slower it comes out (generally). Can you share why you think you might have low supply? A lot of new moms freak out over normal adjustments in supply, when they go from overproducing to producing just the right amount. They following are not indications of low supply:
    - breasts no longer feel engorged or full
    - diminished leaking or cessation of leaking
    - baby fussy at feeding time
    - decreased output when pumping
    - baby requires both breasts at a feeding, after only needing one
    - baby wants to feed frequently
    - baby starts waking at night after a period of sleeping through

The following are indications of possible low supply:
    - weight gain below normal
    - diaper output below normal
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The reasons that I feel that way are several that you listed that really aren't reasons, i.e. Breast no longer feeling full, decreased output when pumping, baby requiring both breasts after needing only one, increased lengths of nursing sessions. So far, her weight gain has been good although it does seem like the rate of weight gain has been slowing the past few weeks. In think her diapers are also good even they are fewer than in previous weeks as I think her digestive system is maturing.

How is nursing going, in general? As long as nursing feels good and you are nursing on demand, I would not worry. All those things- the decreased fullness, decreased pump output, etc.- are very normal. The slowed weight gain is often normal, too- the rate of weight gain in a breastfed baby tends to decrease as time goes on. (For example, my second baby gained a pound a week for about a month, and then throttled back to gaining a more average 7 or so oz per week.)

Basically, as long as you are nursing on demand (no stretching feedings out to match some predetermined time limit), not restricting the baby's time at the breast, and not supplementing with formula, I think everything is just fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Nursing is going ok. However, my anxiety related to breastfeeding is high. I had a lot of problems breastfeeding my son who is now 3. I ended up having to exclusively pump for 14mths so I really want it to work this time. I am trying to nurse on demand, but I still have a hard time reading her hunger cues as they are the same as her "I just want to suck" cues. If I put her on when she just wants to suck, she gets really mad when I have a letdown and milk comes out. Then, she won't eat for a while. Also, 2 out of her usually 7 feedins a day, i have to try to anticipate when she is going to want to eat as she has to get her acid flux medicine 30mins. Before eating, but i try to error on the side of her eating more frequently. I have started to try to give her a bottle of Breast milk a couple times a week as I will be going back to work in early Oct., but I haven't given her any formula.

That all sounds pretty good for a 7 week old baby. Two things that will probably improve your life significantly are the adjustment in supply that you seem to be experiencing, and the baby growing. As those things happen, your OALD should diminish and the baby should become better able to handle any fast letdowns you have, and she may also start to outgrow some of her reflux. Also, her hunger cues should become a little esier to read as she figures out exactly how best to get your attention.