Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Supplementing with breastmilk?

  1. #1

    Default Supplementing with breastmilk?

    Hi Ladies:

    My baby has been a slow gainer from birth. He dropped from 75th percentile, to roughly 20th, settled into a curve for a while, and is now dropping off that curve again.

    I have Over Active Letdown, AND Over Supply issues.

    I am determined to EBF and not use formula. Can somehow please explain how to supplement with hindmilk? My LC once mentioned this to me. Something about pumping, skimming off the fat which settles at the top, and feeding that only? Wouldn't this continue to affect my Over Supply issue, and trigger even more foremilk production?

    Please help! Baby is 4 months and I am anti-formula.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    Give me your stats. How much did your baby weigh when born? Where is your child now? What do you mean dropping off that curve? How many times a day do you feed now? And what are you wet and poopy diapers like?

    Way too lazy for formula

  3. #3

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    Thanks for responding. I've attached a photo of his growth chart. He has one or two poopy diapers a day (very poopy), and 5+ soaked diapers a day.

    growth.jpg

    In one week he will be 4 months. As of right now, he weighs less than he did at the 3 month mark. He feeds every 4h (if I'm lucky, I can get him to eat every 3.5h). He has been sleeping 11-13h straight at night since he was a week old. He is exclusively breastfed.



    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Give me your stats. How much did your baby weigh when born? Where is your child now? What do you mean dropping off that curve? How many times a day do you feed now? And what are you wet and poopy diapers like?
    Last edited by @llli*sammyj; August 20th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    I'm sorry I can't really read that chart. And honestly kids dropping off of curves doesn't usually concern me. Neither does slow weight gain. But NOT gaining that is a concern. So how much did he weigh at Birth? And At 3months? and Now?
    At any rate based on how many times you are feeding I think it's reasonable to say that you should find a way to get 2 more feedings in. So if that means pumping while he is taking long naps, than do that. Or once during a nap and once during the long sleep session. Preferably in the morning. I would NOT play around with your pumped milk. Your milk is the exact right composition for you baby. Every time. And the growth that it produces fro your child is also exactly right. IF your child is not actually gaining weight at this point I think it very well may be because he is not getting enough milk. NOT due to low production on your part but because of spacing. A child should eat between 8 and 12 times in a 24hour period and based on your numbers here the MOST you are feeding is 6 times. So you should work to get 2 extra feedings in. And if you need to pump and supplement I encourage that. It seems like you have very long blocks of time to get two pumping sessions in. But I would just feed the entire pumping. Not just the hind milk.

    Way too lazy for formula

  5. #5

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    Birth: 8-5
    Discharge from hospital: 7-7
    2 weeks: 8-5
    1 month: 9-5
    1.5 months: 10-0
    2 months: 11-4
    2.5 months:12-0
    3 months:12-12
    **baby became ill with a viral infection**
    3.5 months: 12-13

    I already "dreamfeed" my child (give him the boob while he is sleeping) at 10PM and 1AM. This is how I can get 6 feeds in. He sleeps straight between 8PM and 9AM every night. He does not wake-up.

    I don't understand what you mean by feed him more frequently. How do you feed a child who is not hungry and refuses the breast? Does this not contravene "feeding on demand?" Also, what do you mean by pumping sessions and feed him the entire pumping session? ["So you should work to get 2 extra feedings in. And if you need to pump and supplement I encourage that. It seems like you have very long blocks of time to get two pumping sessions in. But I would just feed the entire pumping. Not just the hind milk."]
    Last edited by @llli*sammyj; August 20th, 2011 at 10:18 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,176

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    I can read the chart.

    He's fine. The following things are entirely normal:
    1. For a baby to be born at one percentile, and then drift down or up to a different curve on the charts. Growth inside the womb and growth outside the womb may proceed at different rates.
    2. For a baby to wiggle around on the charts. Your baby has actually been remarkably consistent in his growth so far. Many babies cross many more percentiles than yours has! Remember, growth is not always entirely consistent in all dimensions. Often a baby will grow a lot in one dimension and pause in another, perhaps gaining more height and relatively less weight.
    3. For a baby to drop a few percentiles as he approaches the 6 month mark. As babies become more mobile, they begin devoting more calories to rolling/reaching/scooting/crawling instead of packing those calories on as fat. Both my girls have gone from the 95-99th percentiles at 3-4 months to the 70-80th at around 6 months.
    4. For weight gain to pause a it when a baby is ill.

    Given 1-4, I really would not worry! At all!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  7. #7

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    MUCHOS GRACIAS.

    I really appreciate your feedback. He's a very long and lean baby,and developmentally very advanced, so I never saw a reason for concern until I weighed him on our baby scale. I'm giving the scale away as it's making me totally paranoid.

    Thank you again! xo

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I can read the chart.

    He's fine. The following things are entirely normal:
    1. For a baby to be born at one percentile, and then drift down or up to a different curve on the charts. Growth inside the womb and growth outside the womb may proceed at different rates.
    2. For a baby to wiggle around on the charts. Your baby has actually been remarkably consistent in his growth so far. Many babies cross many more percentiles than yours has! Remember, growth is not always entirely consistent in all dimensions. Often a baby will grow a lot in one dimension and pause in another, perhaps gaining more height and relatively less weight.
    3. For a baby to drop a few percentiles as he approaches the 6 month mark. As babies become more mobile, they begin devoting more calories to rolling/reaching/scooting/crawling instead of packing those calories on as fat. Both my girls have gone from the 95-99th percentiles at 3-4 months to the 70-80th at around 6 months.
    4. For weight gain to pause a it when a baby is ill.

    Given 1-4, I really would not worry! At all!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Supplementing with breastmilk?

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sammyj View Post
    Birth: 8-5
    Discharge from hospital: 7-7
    2 weeks: 8-5
    1 month: 9-5
    1.5 months: 10-0
    2 months: 11-4
    2.5 months:12-0
    3 months:12-12
    **baby became ill with a viral infection**
    3.5 months: 12-13

    I already "dreamfeed" my child (give him the boob while he is sleeping) at 10PM and 1AM. This is how I can get 6 feeds in. He sleeps straight between 8PM and 9AM every night. He does not wake-up.

    I don't understand what you mean by feed him more frequently. How do you feed a child who is not hungry and refuses the breast? Does this not contravene "feeding on demand?" Also, what do you mean by pumping sessions and feed him the entire pumping session? ["So you should work to get 2 extra feedings in. And if you need to pump and supplement I encourage that. It seems like you have very long blocks of time to get two pumping sessions in. But I would just feed the entire pumping. Not just the hind milk."]
    What I am saying is I would not pump and then try to skim the hind milk and only feed that. I am saying if you are going to supplement with your pumped milk supplement with ALL of it. Don't mess with the composition.
    Also based on your first post it sounded like your child has actually LOST weight or wasn't gaining. But based on your actual stats I am with Mommal. Seem like he has gained about a pound a month which is fine! But if you are going to pump, use all the milk.

    Way too lazy for formula

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •