Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussing/Spitting up

Default Fussing/Spitting up

HOw much fussing/spitting up is normal for an almost 3 wk old? My Ds has been so fussy lately. Spitting up like crazy. He seems to be bothered by that and gas too. Sorry I gotta go, hes freaking out now....
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Fussing/Spitting up

More info...He's grunting/growling, seems like he's straining a lot before he either spits up or passes gas. It seems like the spit up may be more of a problem in the morning. He's gaining well, good diapers, etc. I don't know if there's something I can do or if he just has to grow out of it
    Proud mom of 2:

How much is normal... Whoa, hard question! I think it varies so much from baby to baby that there's no way to really answer. I mean, some kids are super-bothered by gas and toots, and some are just "whatever" about it, and then how do you separate it from the kid who is uncomfortable due to reflux? I know both my girls got a bit more upset about their digestive events at around 3 weeks of age- before that they seemed a bit too sleepy for it all to really register.

Basically, I think as long as the baby is generally healthy and gaining, you keep an eye on it, see if it passes, and if it doesn't go away or seems to get worse, then you start thinking about what issues could be causing it...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal! I'm wondering if keeping him upright will help because it seems to be the worst int hte morning.
    Proud mom of 2:

My LO HATES being laid down right after eating, and Dr. suggested keeping her upright for 20 minutes after feeds. Seems to have helped. Also, it's better if she burps, but it's nearly impossible to get a burp out of her. The easiest way to do it is to walk around with her on my shoulder with her belly against my shoulder and let her "work it out"