Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's been a week!

Default It's been a week!

I can't believe it's been a week since DD asked for milk! She last nursed on our trip to the apple orchard last Friday. It was one of the rare occasions in the past year+ that I've nursed her in public, but she was out of sorts and really said she really needed milk, so I sat behind a hay bale . She's mentioned milk in the past week (for other babies), and each time I thought it would lead to her asking for milk, but nope.

Yesterday she told me she couldn't wait to have a baby of her own. When I asked her what she would do with it, she said, "I'll carry it around all the time. Except when it's hungry, then you can give it mama milk." Funny! She's such a literal child that she never nurses her babies and animals because she knows she doesn't make milk yet. She even tells me that she's not the mama to her babies, I am, because I make the milk .

Today we were getting ready to get in the tub and she came up and kissed my boob. I thought for sure she was going to try to latch on, but she just looked up at me and smiled and then gave it big hug .

I'm not sure if this is it or not, but this is by FAR the longest she's ever gone without nursing. I've not mustered up the strength to actually ask her if she's done . Just last month she said she'd nurse until she was 5 or 14 . I can't believe it's been 3 years and 9 months .

Default Re: It's been a week!

Well, weaned or not, congratulations on making it this far!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Wow, Becca! Are you having mixed feelings? Nearly four year is such a big accomplishment!

Behind a hay bale
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Sounds like a perfect story of weaning. HUGS

What a sweet girl
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Thanks, everyone! I guess my feelings are bittersweet. I think that even with CLW and even at almost 4, it's still a huge milestone. She has grown up so much this year! She now rides in a FF car seat, she's sleeping part of each night in her own bed next to ours, she fixes her own snacks , she's finally okay with me going out and leaving her with someone else, and now no more mama milk . Definitely bittersweet . That said, she asked for milk less than half an hour after I posted this last night . So I guess we're not completely done, but weaning is definitely near.

It's been two weeks this time, and while she's made casual mention of having milk a couple times, she's not been adamant, so I've politely declined. The last time I nursed her was two Sundays ago, October 9th - one month and one day shy of her fourth birthday . It's odd because I feel like we should have had some sort of weaning discussion or something . She approached me yesterday morning as I was getting dressed and nuzzled my boobs and said, I love your milks, mama ! Then she kind of noogied my nipple . She has asked to snuggle with them a couple times, and that I'm totally find with . I can't believe my baby girl is almost 4!

Aww! WTG Becca. You provided such an amazing thing for Elisabeth and you can tell that you have weaned her completely on her time. What a wonderful gift.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Thanks . Lo and behold she asked for milk this morning. Every. time. that I say that she's weaned, she asks again . We talked about how she's getting to be a big girl, and now that she's big she doesn't need to have mama milk anymore, but that she can snuggle, etc. She said, "But I neeeeed mama milk. It's soooo tasty!" She's silly, because there's not been any milk since spring, but she SWEARS there is. Then she perked up about being a big girl and said, "Well when I get grown up can I marry you then?" She cried when I told her that I'm already married to papa. She said, "I wish you had never married papa!" Then things got really tangled when I told her that if I'd never married papa, she'd never have been born. Talk about confused! Needless to say, I feel loved this morning.

Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*