Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping to have a little extra....

Default Pumping to have a little extra....

My title says it all, however, I can't pump. I used to pump a little in the beginning, but haven't in a few months and it just won't work now. My pump is an AmedaPurely yours. I also got a medela manual and haven't had luck with that, even looking at my baby or photos while I try. The first time I got half an ounce, and since then just drops when I pump after I feed. I don't want to pump away a feeding, I don't give her a bottle, I just want to up my production a little and have a stash. Does pumping and not getting anything still stimulate milk production, or do u need to be emptying or at least getting a half ounce or so to be effective. if I continue not to be able to get anything, would a hospital grade pump be able to drag it out?

Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping to have a little extra....

i have never used a manual pump but i use an electric one and i hand express. maybe try to hand express a bit. although it take a little practice it may work better for you if you are struggling with the manual i can give you tips if you want, its a skill i've practiced a lot

i think maybe a better option though would be simply to nurse your baby first thing in the am and immediately try to pump that breast after. i find that when my son nurses and then i pump, the milk flows out easier. he already got it moving dont worry about removing a feeding, just do it right after that early one and you will have plenty. besides, you can never "empty" your breasts.

although i am not sure, i would think actual removal of milk is necessary to significantly increase supply.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; August 19th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.

Do you have the electric ameda purely yours pump that does both sides at once? I always liked that one. I have the medela hospital grade one now and I can't say that it's significantly more effective. It sounds like your body has already regulated to making just what your baby needs so you don't have a lot extra right now. Continuing to stimulate your breasts, especially both at the same time, will signal to your body to make more even if you aren't getting a lot right now. I think after a few days your body will respond to the pumping and you will start to see more.
    Mamma to: DS 1 (6/1/2002) DS 2 (1/12/2004) DS 3 (8/24/2006) DS 4 (3/12/2011)

And still smiling!

Can u get as much hand expressing as with a pump? I mean I can get milk out, I just think it would take FOREVER! Also do u have to careful not too mash too hard so u don't get blocked ducts?

Try pumping as close as possible to the same time every day. Your body will get the signal that more milk is needed at that time. Your output is quite normal:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html and check that link for tips on how to increase output
    Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.

It is quite normal to need to pump 2-3 times to get enough milk for one feeding for baby (remember that the pump cannot get as much milk as a baby who nurses effectively).
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

If you can't nurse more frequently, maybe try renting a hospital grade pump. Also, make sure your breastshields are the right size. Check out this link. When I switched to larger ones, I got better pumping results, so you might need to make an adjustment there, too.

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...d-breastshield

I would suggest, as it seems your body knows how much to make, to:

try herbs like fenugreek
    pump while nursing
    rent a hospital grade pump. IME, these work so much better than any professional grade pump
    get the right sized horns. Most moms find the standard size is too small
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and replies. I am finding I can sometimes get a little more, about 10mL to half an ounce (usually just from one side) a day, and usually it will be in the evening around 10:00, so I am wondering if it will get better with "practice"? I cut an old bra so I can do it hands free (don't know how I would do it other wise! My thought is if I crank it up all the way, I can get more suction, but I am starting to think this is not necessarily true. Is the key finding what feels like your baby to make you have a let down? Oh and I have to do it a long time, like 20 minutes. But it does not hurt at all, even all the way up.

just be careful you dont make yourself sore turning it high. my pump has a letdown button. it starts off fast and not that strong then switches to a slower stronger pull. i woll push the button if not much is coming out and it sometimes helps. i find hand expressing at the end really has helped overall.

If you crank it up all the way, you might trick your body into getting an OALD and OS... pretty sure that's what happened to me, so be careful. Try pumping at different times, specifically in the middle of the night, as that is when milk production is at it's peak...
    here's another good link, too

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...ticle.php?id=4