Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So frustrated!

Default So frustrated!

I've been having a lot of nipple pain and finally saw an LC yesterday. She observed a nursing session and said the latch looks great, theres no evidence of tongue-tie, and she doesn't think there are any infections. BUT I'm still in pain! We're going through the 3 week growth spurt and I'm dying. I don't know what else to do!

Default Re: So frustrated!

Going through the same thing right now, I'm with you!

Did the LC actually FEEL how the baby is sucking?

Could you have thrush? I know that often they don't think there is any, but you don't know until you treat for it. After my third baby, I was super sore 2 weeks out. I knew it shouldn't hurt as much as it did at that point. I TOLD my midwife I wanted treatment for thrush. She thought it was totally unnecessary -- I hadn't had any antibiotics. Baby didn't have any stuff in his mouth that looked like thrush. My nipples weren't red or flaky or anything. Just super sore. And the pain went away after baby and I were both treated.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When I was having issues similar problems I also saw a LC. She told me that it is not how it looks, but how it feels. She worked with me to position my baby close enough and in the right area in relation to my breast so that the pain would go away. I would say, keep working with an LC (even if you need to get another one) to help you find the right position that doesn't hurt, no matter how it looks.

Good Luck!

I actually thought it was thrush, so I called my PCP and she prescribed Nystatin for it. She didn't prescribe anything for baby though and the LC said Nystatin usually isn't very effective. What did you get to treat yours?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*niraja View Post
    When I was having issues similar problems I also saw a LC. She told me that it is not how it looks, but how it feels. She worked with me to position my baby close enough and in the right area in relation to my breast so that the pain would go away. I would say, keep working with an LC (even if you need to get another one) to help you find the right position that doesn't hurt, no matter how it looks.

Good Luck!
    When she was observing it really wasn't causing me any pain, so I think what she saw was going right. For some reason though I feel like I'm doing all the same things today and it kills again! He's eating every hour or less today, which I'm attributing to the growth spurt, so I don't know if that's why it hurts? She told me to make sure he's pulled in as close as possible and I'm bringing baby to breast and not breast to baby, so I'm trying to mimic what we did in our session as best I can but it's not working! Argh! Can you sense my frustration?? (Trying to joke through the pain here )