Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting single side nursing my 7 wk old

Default Starting single side nursing my 7 wk old

I've been feeding my 7 week old little boy on both sides, but during the last few days I've noticed that he has a lot of gas and is very fussy. Today I started single side feeding, and have noticed an improvement with his gas and fussyness. I'm wondering whether this is due to a better foremilk/hindmilk balance???
    I'm also afraid that switching to single side feeding could decrease my milk supply??

Default Re: Starting single side nursing my 7 wk

You are correct that feeding on just one breast per feeding is likely to reduce your milk supply. However, that doesn't mean it's wrong. When we say that a mom has a foremilk/hindmilk inbalance, the usual cause is oversupply. The mom is making more milk than her baby needs, and therefore when the baby nurses, he consumes a relatively larger proportion of lactose-rich foremilk than he would if his mom's supply matched his needs more precisely. Basically, the baby gets full before he drains the breast down to the creamiest fraction of the milk.

If using one breast per feeding seems to be making the baby happy, you might want to continue doing it, but make sure to watch the baby's diaper output and weight gain carefully. As long as they are normal, it's fine to continue. Also, if suddenly 1 breast doesn't seem like enough, feel free to go back to using 2 breasts at a time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ok! So it's been almost two weeks since my last post. Here's what's happened. Three days after I started single side feeding, my DS went back to nursing from both sides. It seemed as everything was going perfect, but three days ago he started to fuss a lot at the breast, became gassy and colicky, until yesterday he completely refused to nurse. From what I've been able to read, my guess is that I'm producing too much milk, and have an overactive letdown. So today I' going to start working on that by single side feeding again, and maybe trying different nursing positions. I would truly appreciate any other ideas or suggestions!!
    I never had these issues with my 3 year old DD! She nursed for 9 months, and I would love to nurse my DS longer than that.

I have been single side feeding my DD since birth. We have had ups and downs, and there have been a few rare occasions that she's taken both sides during one feeding. Now that she's bigger 4.5months actual, 3.5months adjusted), though, the LC said she's very efficient at nursing & could be getting plenty in less than 10 minutes. Many suggested leaning back after she latches and letdown happens to minimize spraying into the back of her throat. I believe I, too, have OALD & OS, but haven't had any green, foamy stools in weeks, so I think we're doing ok. I pump like 10 ounces on Monday mornings, and by Friday morning I get only about 7 ounces in the morning and around 4oz at the 2 subsequent sessions at Noon and 3pm, but that is still more than my LO uses a day while I'm at work. Block feeding is definitely the way to go for us!

I did single sided feedings w/ both my kiddos, usually by 2-3 weeks of age. Occasionally (usually in the evening when my supply is naturally less) I will have to offer the second boob. Let your baby guide you - you are doing great!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos