Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So confused...

Question So confused...

My daughter is 11 months old...she's been walking since 9 months. I was told by a lady at Gerber that because she's already walking I should give her more calories since she's burning more than most babies her age. She won't eat from a spoon anymore so baby food is out - I never really gave it to her to begin with. I was making baby food and still have lots frozen, but she won't eat it. She won't eat cereal either.

My real issue is, I feel like I spend 90% of my time trying to get her to eat. I've always been the first person to tell a mom - she/he will eat when they get hungry, but don't seem to be able to take that advice myself. I also get stressed out when she refuses to eat something b/c I feel like I'm wasting money and my husband and I are living pay check to pay check at the moment. I know that shouldn't matter, but it's one of the stress' in my life. I feel like he's going to fuss at me for wasting food. (another story for another day ! )

So, my question is, what foods can I get that will cover all of the nutrition that she needs, that she can eat (she's got her bottom front teeth), that I can make enough of to use throughout the week. She was eating scrambled eggs w/ cheese but now she won't eat that - that was the only source of protein she was getting. If this doesn't make any sense, please let me know...I'm just really stressed and don't know if I'm putting it into words correctly.

Also, I am hopefully going to be starting a job soon and she won't take a bottle - do I pump and try to see if she'll take bm out of a sippy cup? or do I just have the preschool give her something else?

Default Re: So confused...

The lady at Gerber is wrong. It's not her job to reinforce your confidence or to give you accurate information, but rather to sell as many jars of purees as possible.

My pediatrician would tell you that until a year, breastmilk alone is sufficient to meet all a child's nutritional needs. This is true for super-active early walkers and sedentary babies alike. Until the first birthday, solids are more or less only for play, and for experimenting with new motor skills, tastes, and textures. After a year, solids become an increasingly important part of a baby's diet, but the transition from needing only mama's milk to a majority solid food diet is a gradual one, with many babies not eating much solid food until they are well into their second year. You can expect your baby's eating habits WRT solids to be inconsistent. Some days she will gobble up a ton of solid food, other days she will seem to subsist solely on air and breastmilk.

At 11 months old, you should feel free to feed your LO table foods (with the exception of honey- don't give that until >12 months- and choke-y foods like nuts and hot dogs). When you are preparing your meals, set aside small portions and give them to your LO, and let her experiment with getting them into her mouth. Don't get upset if she tastes them and then spits them out, or prefers to just squash them with her hands and drop them on the floor. It's part of the learning process.

Good foods for self-feeders:
    Beans (my toddler will eat a can of black beans if you let her!)
    Pasta- especially spaghetti, since it's easy to pick up
    Meats- dice it or shred it, particularly if your LO doesn't have many teeth yet
    Soft-cooked vegetables (zucchini, tomato, carrot, etc.)
    fresh tomato chunks
    Soft fruit (bananas, peaches, pears)
    Tofu

WRT to your new job- first of all, congratulations! You can definitely pump and pump breastmilk in a sippy cup, or if you prefer, after 12 months you can offer whole cow's milk. It's up to you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with pp. While my DD ate all baby food, my DS1 refused to touch the stuff. We would give him (with our pediatrician's blessing) what we were eating. It was a source of great amusement to the day care staff as to what DH would report that the boy had eaten for breakfast, because he was usually eating what DH ate. (I guess he was the only infant having scrambled eggs with chili for breakfast.) Think about how you can adapt what you are eating; it will definitely be more cost effective. DS1 also switched over to a cup before a year but that was partly because he would pick up the cups of water left behind by his sister.

But trust the nutrients of your BM. If that weren't enough, do you think she could be so active? They have little tummies and they just don't eat that much.

Another thought--I saw a show once where a pediatrician commented that you need to look at a toddler's food intake over a few days. We are conditioned to eat about the same amount every meal; if they aren't pushed, they will eat just how much they need which will vary meal to meal. With both of my older kids (6 and 9) they still will sometimes eat a lot of food and sometimes only a little.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I didn't think she needed more calories, but wanted to make sure. She nurses anytime she wants right now while I'm at home. I'll be working at the preschool, I'm hoping they will work with me until we can get her on somewhat of a schedule - since I won't be able to just drop what I'm doing to nurse her. I'll provide them with breastmilk and if she takes it good - if not I guess that's ok - I'm sure she'll snack throughout the day.

Now, I cook all kinds of stuff for dinner - you're telling me that if I cook a steak for dinner I can shred it and give it to her? I gave her a piece the other night to just chew on and she loved it. I didn't let her eat it so to speak b/c I was afraid she would choke. Even if I cut it into small cubes she should be able to eat it? We really like asparagus, would that be too hard for her? My family won't eat brown rice so I make white rice - is that horrible to start her on white rice? I know I was raised on it and am in good shape, but I have a fear of feeding her the wrong thing and her becoming overweight later in life - I know that's crazy but it's a fear :/

Thanks

Yes, if you cook a steak you can shred it and give it to her. Try pieces that are cheerio-sized or, alternately, shredded into long strings. Asparagus should be fine. Just cut it up into a non-choking-hazard size, or a lonfpg strip, and let her go! White rice isn't horrible, but it's not the best. One way to work brown rice into your diet is to make a pot of white rice and a pot of brown rice, and mix them together. That way you can sneak the brown rice into your family's diet. But if no-one will eat brown rice, don't sweat it too much! All by itself, white rice isn't going to cause anyone to become obese. Just like a single cookie or bowl of ice cream won't make you fat. If the rest if your diet is healthy, and you model an active lifestyle, your kid will be fine even if she has elements of her diet that are a little bit less healthy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Mommal - you have been such a big help for me since the first time I posted on here when Katy was 2 days old! Thank you so very much for the encouragement...you have no idea how much better you have made me feel!

Awww, thank you! It is my great pleasure.

By the way could you talk to my husband and let him know it's ok to give her meat lol he swears I shouldn't give her anything w/ seasoning

My son hated baby food and wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole, frustrating for me as well. Decided to make smoothies with almond/rice milk and a bunch of berries, banana, etc. I added the appropriate amount (based on weight) of "Udo's Oils", a premium blend of Omegas 3-6-9's, and concentrated greens (again, adjusted for age/size) with MSM and DHA. Althought I breastfed until just recently, I always felt comforted knowing that in spite of his stubborn eating habits, he was properly nourished.

As for the protein, because he's a boy I didn't use soy milk. I don't know if there are concerns for small girls, but there are also some protein powders out there that are completely natural and harmless for children. Good luck!