Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: There is no more milk, baby!

Default There is no more milk, baby!

Another hard night...
    Baby has been asking the breast all afternoon and evening. I was sure that by sleep-time (around 10 PM) he would have been full and tired, but he still continued demanding to drink, crying and all until midnight.

The thing is, my milk didn't even have time to come back before he cried and he was frustrated and I felt terrible and emotionally drained, seeing he was that hungry and couldn't feed him.

Now I know that he's approching 6 weeks so it might be a growth spurt again, but he seems to be constantly in growth-spurt mode for the last weeks.
    It's like my milk isn't enough, sometimes I pump and see he gets at least 4 oz and still asks for the breast right after and nurses a loooong time.

Add to that that one nipple that hurts, and you've got a mom ready to give up!

Default Re: There is no more milk, baby!

Please bear with me as I am no expert on this subject...still in the learning stages myself even with this being my second child to BF! Three things came to mind when you posted this. First, there's a good chance he is taking a growth spurt. Growth spurts usually occur at six weeks, so he may just be signaling your body to produce more milk. Second, does he seem extra gassy? It's been my experience that when my daughter's tummy is upset, she wants to eat more. My guess is she cannot distinguish between hunger and gas pains. She would be super fussy and cry a lot until she passed the bubbles. Lastly, if your nipple is hurting, it could be a few different things. He may not be latching on properly, which might make it harder for him to feed as quickly. Look at the shape and make sure it looks round and not compressed or lipstick shaped. If it's misshapen, he's not latching on correctly. Also, if he's not latching correctly, your breast may not be emptying as well which could cause clogged ducts, thus making your nipple hurt also. My daughter keeps latching incorrectly on one side, and as a result, I got lumps in my breast and under my nipple that were painful clogged ducts. If you feel anything, try taking a warm shower and massage the spots. Then change his nursing position (football hold helped me), so that he has to latch on differently. I also massaged the lumps right before nursing to get things moving. After nursing one or two times, they were usually completely gone and I was pain free.

Hope this helps...you'll make it through this (even though I am sure it doesn't feel like it at the moment!) BTDT!! Wishing you the best

He IS very gassy! I didn't think of that...especially at night so I will look out for that and try to see the difference.

Also, I think my nipple hurts because it is too big for his mouth. It stings a lot when he latches on until he has been sucking for a while and softened it to a longer, more easy to suck in size. It comes out of his little mouth pink, and the right shape, but the starts are always painful these days.

Thank you so much for the help.

All of my LOs have had fussy periods in the evening when they were your LO's age, even number 3 (the great and mighty glowworm) who is an incredibly mellow and happy baby. Your supply does tend to be the lowest around then but remember that your breasts will continue to produce milk as your baby nurses. As long as your LO is producing enough wet and poopy diapers you should be fine. Remember they do sometimes nurse for comfort. This will eventually pass.

You can do it!
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Most babies have a witching hour. It comes whether you have plenty of milk or not. And you NEVER EVER run out of milk. You are constantly making it and if your child is sucking they are getting it. It's just not AS MUCH. It will get down to 2 or 3 streams from 30 or so at first letdown. This is how your body regulates so that you don't ever OVERFEED your child. If you are pumping 4oz you have NO supply issues. Believe that. Don't let self doubt sabotage this situation. Your child deserves your milk. And you are making PLENTY. Babies eat around they clock. Let go of the idea that because your child wants to eat non-stop that something may be wrong. Nothing wrong. It's normal for babies to eat around the clock. ESPECIALLY during a growth spurt. Trust your body. And the process. You were meant to do this.

Way too lazy for formula

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

agree with pp x your body will make enough for sure!

YOu need to get your attachment checked ideally. You shouldn't be experiencing pain and just a quick readjustment to position can make a HUGE difference. You can't just run out of milk. Seek help and you will soon be laughing
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

Oh, you must be exhausted! I went through this with my 1st baby. I NEVER needed to put a shirt on. Ever. I did eventually figure out that he just wanted to suck and snuggle more than he wanted milk. He turned into the fattest baby ever so I know he was getting MORE than enough. Does your LO use a pacifier? If not, you might consider it. Pacifiers have also been shown to lower the risk of SIDS, supposedly.

Also around 6 weeks is when I start learning other ways to get my babies to sleep besides nursing them down because like the PPs mentioned, they always reach peak fussiness at this stage and it's not always because they're hungry. In fact, for my babies, it's usually because they're tired. At 6 weeks they are past the newborn sleep 23 hours a day stage but haven't really learned how to go to sleep by themselves. So they complain, a lot. One of my babies liked walking up and down stairs, another one liked swaying side to side - fast. You might experiment with helping your LO go to sleep once in a while without nursing to see if maybe that's the reason for the complaining. If you're pumping 4 oz, you definitely have enough. Sounds like LO just wants soothing - either sleep or paci.

Also definitely work on that latch on the sore side. My 4th baby's latch was just a tiny bit off and it got more and more sore as the days went by. Once we got better, the soreness went away really pretty quickly. Correct latches shouldn't hurt at all.

Good luck!!
    Mamma to: DS 1 (6/1/2002) DS 2 (1/12/2004) DS 3 (8/24/2006) DS 4 (3/12/2011)

And still smiling!

Two other ideas: I really liked the book "Happiest Baby on the Block" for soothing techniques. Get it from the library if you can. Babywearing in a wrap or sling can be really good for fussiness as well.

And don't get discouraged if things that worked for a friend don't seem to work for you. Every baby is different--I have three and each has displayed a distinct personality from the beginning! I like to think about putting all of the different suggestions I have heard into my "baby toolbox." Just like any project that uses tools will require different tools, every baby will need different techniques. (I am currently very tired due to school starting back and the baby reverse cycling. Lack of sleep = overly complicated analogies.)
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

So many great suggestions!
    I tried the pacifier, but he wants none of it. Always spits it out, and when I try to hold it for him, he fusses and even chokes. Maybe I should try another one.

The daddy finally got him to sleep last night by walking around and rocking him but it took over an hour and a half.
    I will definitly check out that book.