Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad advice from LC?

Question Bad advice from LC?

My sleepy eater is still having trouble gaining weight. (He's 15 weeks and 11 lbs.) I finally called in a LC. She came and spent 2 hours with us. Basically, my guy is healthy, but she thinks that 1. he should gain some weight a little more quickly, and 2. that my supply is down because of his sleepy eating. So she suggested that 3 times per day, I try to feed him and then he gets a 3 oz bottle of EBM when he seems done with nursing (while I pump). At the last feeding of the day, I am not supposed to put him to my breast. Instead, he is supposed to get as much EBM as he wants to eat (while I pump). (Yesterday he ate about 6 oz that last time.) Is this right? I'm getting a ridiculously small amount of milk when I pump sometimes. (ridiculously small = 1 mL on one side one time! But I do occasionally get an entire ounce.) It seems to me that he should be trying to nurse more frequently, not skip a session, if I want to increase my supply. We have been trying this for 2 days now, and (if possible) he seems even less interested in breastfeeding than before! Sometimes he latches on, but instead of sucking, he stares off into space. Sometimes he sucks and then gets frustrated because nothing is coming out. Is he getting even lazier by taking so many bottles? I'm so frustrated! He was a happy, alert (if small) baby before this, but the past two days, I feel like he's having even more trouble at the breast, and he seems even sleepier. (He slept his first 8-hour stretch Tuesday night, which meant he missed ANOTHER session.) Any suggestions? Was the LC right, and I just haven't given it enough time? I want him to gain weight, but I also don't want him to get used to the ease of eating from a bottle so often.

Default Re: Bad advice from LC?

It's hard to say if this is the right advice or not. I mean, the LC has seen you and your LO in person, there may be things that she can see that we just can't... But my gut says that you are correct to question her advice. More bottles, more skipped feedings, more "top-ups"- these all seem like things that could have negative impacts on your supply and on your LO's desire to nurse. Did the LC suggest using alternative means of supplementing, like a SNS or lact-aid?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She didn't suggest anything but bottles (and seemed to think it was weird I used a medicine dropper when he was 1 week old so as to avoid nipple confusion). I thought I was doing the right thing by calling the LC, but now I'm worried that following her advice is going to make things worse in the long run. We have been using Breastflow bottles, but she thought we should use one that makes him work even less for the milk.

She did suggest Mother's Milk tea, and I even went out and bought a Medela Pump in Style because she didn't think my Swing was going to cut it. I think maybe we'll keep using some bottles but not skip the last feeding. I hate to question the "authority," but I keep reading that I should trust my instincts, so maybe we'll give that a try!

(By the way, you're an amazing source of support on this site! Thank you!)

Was the LC an IBCLC? LCs aren't all created equal. There are good ones, bad ones, great ones... Maybe finding a second LC and seeing if her perceptions and suggestions differ would be a good route?

Can you post a complete weight history on your baby? Birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup? Maybe that would help us figure out if there isba problem, or if you just have a smaller baby.

I think your choice not to skip that evening feeding is a good one. Does your baby sleep long periods at night? If so, maybe you want to start waking him to eat, or sleeping with him (babies who co-sleep may wake and eat more frequently when they are close to mom's all-night breastaurant). Babies can take in a lot of calories at night, and many moms notice that their milk is more abundant in the wee hours.

Thanks for the kudos!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is an IBCLC, I believe. I found her through a link on this site for LCs. She said to call with any questions or concerns, so I think I'll do that.

Weight history for my son:
    Birth: 6 lbs 4 oz
    5 days old: 5 lbs 10 oz
    2 weeks: 6 lbs
    4 weeks: 7 lbs
    6 weeks: 8 lbs 4 oz
    2 months, 1 week: 9 lbs 10 oz
    3 months: 10 lbs 10 oz (weighed with onesie on and with diaper that should have been changed first!)
    3 months, 2 weeks: 10 lbs 13 oz
    3 months, 2.5 weeks: 11 lbs

He's grown from 19.88 inches at birth to 24 inches at 3 months 2 weeks. (But he was wiggling a lot, so I think it was closer to 23.5 inches last time.)

He was sleeping a 5-6 hour stretch at night with 2- or 3- hour stretches through the rest of the night. Once we started giving him the "unlimited" milk at night as suggested, he started sleeping 7-8 hours. He sleeps alone for the long stretch, and then he joins me in bed after waking up. I am both nervous about co-sleeping (so I don't rest as well) and also prone to migraines if I don't sleep just right on my pillow, so he only co-sleeps for part of the night. I wonder how much he gets when we do this. Does even a sleepy eater get lots to eat this way because he wakes up more often and the breastaurant is right there? (Love the word breastaurant, by the way!)
    Last edited by @llli*lovebug0411; August 19th, 2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Found his 6 week weight!