Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad about approaching 6 months/solids

Default Sad about approaching 6 months/solids

Okay, my hormonal brain feels secretly sad about my LO approaching the six month mark, where he can start trying solids. (He's five months and 11 days.) I have fallen in love with breastfeeding and feel like I've found much of my strength and wisdom as a first time mom from our BF relationship. I haven't said this out loud to anyone else, because everyone else seems so excited about solids beginning, but I figured if anyone would understand, it would be my fellow LLLI mamas.

Early on, I read in the Womanly Art of BF that, technically, weaning begins as soon as your baby consumes anything other than breastmilk. This has stuck in my head, so I feel like somehow we're counting down to the days until weaning begins, even though I plan to BF until he's ready to fully wean, even though we're doing baby-led solids, and he might not start in earnest until 8 or 9 months.

Even though I know that this is just the first of a billion bittersweet moments when he enters the world from the safe and secure base I've created for him...

It feels like a golden age of BF is already coming to a close, and I feel so sad about it.

Have any of you had a similar feeling upon starting solids?

Default Re: Sad about approaching 6 months/solid

I didn't feel more than a twinge of that "oh my gosh, baby's growing up!" feeling when starting solids, but I think there are a zillion points like that over the course of a child's development. First solids, first steps, first time they skip a nursing session, first time they get on the bus... My big gal is going to kindergarten this fall and I'm thinking I need therapy. You're definitely not alone in this, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I cried the first time my lo picked up a spoon and put it in her mouth... way before there was any food on it. lol I understand. It doesn't get any easier. Just enjoy every minute you have!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

i feel exactly this way, my little one is just about the same age.

. This may be bittersweet but you baby will still nurse, still be a baby for a while and will ALWAYS need you
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Oh yes, for me the end of every era is bittersweet. My 3rd is about to start Kindergarten and I'm just choosing not to think about it My 4th and last baby is 5 months 5 days and definitely ready and wanting to start solids. He's growing up so fast and yes it's sad, but a good sad. It's sad to move on from that "only mom can meet my needs" phase, but it's SO good to have a healthy baby who is meeting all their milestones and developing just the way they were intended to. I agree with the PP too. Your baby will ALWAYS need you and no one will ever be able to replace you even when you wean all together. I am saying this as the mother of 4 boys who all love and idolize their daddy, but still coming rushing straight back into Mamma's arms whenever they really need something

I am having similar feelings. I remember with my first being eager to start solids but with this little guy, who is probably our last, I am going really slowly with it. I will admit that part of it is the knowledge that life becomes more complicated once we have to fit in him getting other food along with coordinating the rest of the thundering herd.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

yes, i remember feeling that too. every little thing they do that make them a little more independent is bittersweet. I look at my 19 month old now and wish i'd clung to those early days more closely... everything goes so fast. On the other hand, it's amazing and fulfilling to see his personality develop and see that his connection to me is not only breastfeeding - while we're still nursing - it's so wonderful to also know i'm more to him than "muck".
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

It felt like a dagger to the heart when Lilah started solids. I flipped out one day when I saw my DH letting her drink some water out of a cup.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It felt like a dagger to the heart when Lilah started solids. I flipped out one day when I saw my DH letting her drink some water out of a cup.
    I did this with whole cows milk the other day - dh's mom gave him milk in a sippy cup and i was all "what are you doing, i'm right here!!!" so annoyed.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it