Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick Question about Sidelaying

Default Quick Question about Sidelaying

If you are having trouble with a shallow latch and breast feeding at night in sidelaying where it is difficult to get a proper latch, should you discontinue side laying so as not to reinforce "bad habits", and just sit up to try to get the best latch possible, or is this over thinking it? I feel anxiety of the thought of a low milk production from a shallow latch. That is why it is important to me. The baby is 14 weeks old.

Default Re: Quick Question about Sidelaying

Sidelaying was the way I first learned to BF after a c-section made it difficult to sit up right away. I've nursed all 4 of my babies using a sidelaying position often and found their latch to be just as effective as when I was sitting up. As long as your baby is getting the milk out, your body will continue to produce it - shallow latch or not. If the baby is not thriving and having trouble getting the milk out, then it's time to change things up. Don't worry. You're doing fine. BF patterns goes through phases just like kids go through phases. You're hitting a new phase and trying to understand it which is good. That means you love your baby. It doesn't mean anything is wrong.

Thank you.

I had been having trouble with side laying and a shallow latch. It just wasn't comfortable. The shallow latch was making my nipple sore. Plus, my body position just felt awkward and uncomfortable. After about 2 weeks of trying, it's feeling much better now, and his latch feels good. I think it just took us a bit of time to "get it."
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

Hmm. I really prefer side laying actually-how blissful to snooze in bed while nursing, and it feels fine, just a bit shallow (from looking at the way she drinks), no soreness or anything. I am going to a LC today, I will see if it seems to be getting proper milk transfer. Plus it seems impossible to pop her on, I have to pretty much let her latch her own way.