For the past almost 2-weeks my baby, currently 7-weeks, has been having green stools. In the beginning he as also gassy & uncomfortable and spit-up often and even had lots of gulping early on in the feeding. During this time he also has had a cold. Really congested at first, better, and then really congested again now. I tried block feeding and within a couple days the stools had gone back to a more yellowish/green. Not completely normal, but not nearly as dark green as before. This stayed the same, except for the morning stool (not sure why?) until a couple days ago. Now they are much more consistently dark green, a little mucousy, and runny. He is now not gassy and he spits up maybe once per day and hardly anything at all compared to a couple weeks ago.
Over the weekend I wasn't the best with block feeding he seemed very, very hungry and I couldn't tolerate him eating forever on one side (though I did try). I am thinking growth spurt because this happened a few weeks ago as well. Not sure if this is why the stools have returned to the darker green, runny consistency. Or if maybe his cold is playing into the whole thing since it has been lingering the whole time.
Today I am trying to stick to a 3-hour block feeding schedule. He isn't as hungry, but still eating quite a bit, so I am thinking the little growth spurt might be done with. Eating very well when he does eat. Still dark green stools, but not as runny, mucousy as before. He is tired because he didn't sleep well last night due to his congestion (he is more than making up for that lack of sleep today though!). When he is awake he is all smiles and alert and calm. No crying or fussiness. He is gaining well.
At this point I am not sure if this is a fore/hindmilk imbalance issue. Or possibly something else. Trying to decide how much longer I give this to work. If I should consider the dairy protein allergy or not. I'd call my ped but I don't really like them and know they would jump to formula and I absolutley refuse to do that. We are switching to a new ped in September (Dr. Sears office!). I guess I could call them but due to insurance I couldn't go in until September.
Any advice??? Should I stop dairy now or give the cold a couple days to fizzle out and see what happens then???