Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sterilizing question...

Default sterilizing question...

this might seem like a silly question...but when your baby is ready to start rice cereal...do you sterilize the spoon and bowl? I ask this question because you have to sterilize everything else you put breastmilk in, so I was just wondering...

Default Re: sterilizing question...

I do. I sterilize everything in the steamer bags that you can buy. I am likely overly paranoid though.. I am sure just a wash in hot, soapy water would do the trick!

I'm pretty anti-germ myself, but I have a different perspective. Breastmilk is naturally antimicrobial. I sterilized baby things initially but then just washed them as I wash the rest of the family's dishes (usually in the dishwasher--even for pump parts and bottles). There's nothing about breastmilk that requires it to be in sterile containers, just clean ones.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I'm the same way. I sterilize when I purchase and then just wash in the dishwasher with the rest of the family dishes. I don't think kids get enough opportunities to build their antibodies and immune systems if everything is too sterile. Just think within a couple of months the baby is going to be crawling and eating things off the floor anyway If you know you're baby has a weakened immune system or have been specifically told to sterilize, that's another story.

Nope I don't, unless there is an immune issue it's a waste of time. And as an aside you do not have to sterilize everything breast milk is stored in.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't. I wouldn't sterilize my plates....my baby eats my food...so why would his utensils need to be sterile?

I don't pump into sterile bottles either I just wash. And my baby is never ever ever sick!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I sterilize pump parts and bottles once a day if I am going to be freezing and keeping the milk stored for a while. If it is for food or milk that is going to be consumed right away, then I just try to make sure they are clean. I apply what I call "the analogy of canned peaches". If I am canning fruit, the jars and lids are sterile. If it is a fresh peach, I just try to wash the bugs and dirt off. Also, by the time most LO's are eating solids, there are much scarier things going in their mouths every day than a non-sterile spoon.