Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poor milk transfer - shallow latch

Default Poor milk transfer - shallow latch

I really need help getting baby to latch on my left side right. My nipple is always lipstick shaped and she doesnt drink very long on that side. I think her slow weight gain is showing this.

Default Re: Poor milk transfer - shallow latch

Have you seen an IBCLC for hands-on help? They can really be of great assistance.

My baby had sucking problems after birth and frankly couldn't nurse on either side for about two months. (I'm not saying that you have these problems, but I wanted to share my own experience.) My left side had a larger, more inverted nipple, and my baby just couldn't handle it. He learned to nurse exclusively on the right, though I kept pumping to the left to keep up the supply. When he was approaching four months, he began to learn on the left, and he still uses both sides to this day (18 months). (Here's a link to my full story of nursing difficulties and successes if you want to read it http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-and-my-story ).

If your baby is succeeding on the right, your milk supply on that side alone ought to be able to keep up with her needs. Just make sure that you offer frequently and let her nurse as long as she wants. To encourage her to spend more time on the left, are you familiar with breast compression?
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC

It might be useful for encouraging her to stay longer on the left (and on the right for that matter--useful for slow weight gain).

Perhaps you can post a few more details about what you think is contributing to the problem so that other mamas can chime in with help.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Thank you - I will def try the compression! Great article.

I was supposed to see a LC today and she never called me back, so I think she may be on vacation. I have my checkup tomorrow, so I plan on speaking to the midwifes about some more support.
    DD will be 5 wks tomorrow, and as of last friday she wasn't back to her birth weight.
    I think she falls asleep too fast on the breast and sometimes on the left she starts to like play? she pulls the nipple, spits it out, latches back on, scratches at my breast, etc. I feel like she's just not getting a good enough latch.
    I really need to see a LC. I bring DD back to pedi tomorrow to check her weight, so we'll see if she's gained anything! I am NOT giving up on this - I refuse to supplement. I know I can get my milk supply up, if thats a problem.
    Thank you

and how long should a 5 week old eat for? I mean like when shes nursing, how long should I hear swallowing?

It really depends on the baby. If you hear swallowing, that's certainly a good sign. My baby couldn't nurse at five weeks, so I'm a bad one to ask about timing. I'm sure other moms will have answers all over the map, though. Except they will say, let her nurse as long as she wants.

Here's a link to my whole story. I'm not trying to say that your LO has problems like mine, but I thought it might give you ideas nevertheless.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-and-my-story
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Talking Re: Poor milk transfer - shallow latch

My baby hasn't had much trouble with latching (except when he's afraid I'll spray him in the face), but I will say that a baby at 5 weeks will TYPICALLY eat for about 10-15 minutes on each side. This definitely varies per kid. My 3 month old has only been doing about 5 minutes on just one side per feeding (and he's gaining like crazy). He's been doing this since about 8 or 9 weeks old. It just depends on the baby. Sometimes he goes longer - especially if he's falling asleep.

I hope you get some answers and good help!!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com