Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 Month old not wanting to nurse

Default 8 Month old not wanting to nurse

My 8 month old has had 2 teeth since he was 6 months old. I believe he is getting more teeth. He does not want to nurse and every time he tries he screams. He also bites me. I have tried everything I could think of to get him to nurse. I had to borrow my friend's pump because I never pumped with my other 3. I pumped this morning and got 3 ozs total. Then this afternoon only got 1 1/2 ozs. I don't know what to do. He will drink the pumped milk from a bottle. It has to be cold though. I think he likes the cold on his gums. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: 8 Month old not wanting to nurse

Welcome! I am sorry you're having such a tough time. Nursing strikes stink. This link covers all the ways I know of to get the baby to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. The skin to skin and instant reward techniques are supposed to be especially helpful!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know a lot of moms are opposed to medications, but when they are teething, that's when I use them. I alternate Tylenol and Motrin, given by time and amounts indicated on the box. That helps. IF you can find them, teething tablets also helped. And oddly, I found that colic remedy helped my third baby, who was the worst of my boys about teething -- that kid was so incredibly fussy when one was going to come through.

If the strike goes on for a while, you will want to rent a hospital grade pump. It takes a while to learn to pump, which is one reason you might not have gotten a good amount of milk when you pumped. But...if you end up pumping until this is over, you will want to get the right size of horns -- for your comfort and to maximize production -- and I would look into a different pump. Borrowing a pump carries a few risks, and you don't know how hard that pump was used; they have a limited lifespan. And be sure it's at least a professional grade pump.

Hang in there. The link is a good one
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When my DS had his first two teeth coming, he was also biting and not eating properly. The only way to get him to nurse properly was at night. That kept the supply up. Also if I fed him as soon as he woke up, he ate better cause was sleepy and relaxed.
    Hope it gets better for you

ITA with the suggestion of medication. I know a lot of mamas are against it, but I think if a little Motrin will help him feel better and be able to nurse, it's totally worth it. Just my .02 cents!