Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freakin' out for no reason...

Default Re: Freakin' out for no reason...

It's a good idea to chat with a consultant but my baby sounds about the same. She's very efficient now at 3 months and eats well except in the evenings when she's extremely fussy some days.

3-4 times a week she's fussy so that she'll cry a lot between 5 and 11pm. Sometimes she's not fussy at night and sometimes she's fussy for 5-6 hours. Fussy being, not eating for more than 1 minute and pulling off frequently. Then she'll nap a few minutes and wake up, nap a few minutes more, wake up, crying sporadically. It's usually easiest to try to feed for a minute and if it doesn't work I give her the paci and try again in an hour. She'll just kind of nibble during her fussy period and not feed normally.

Usually by 11pm she's back to her normal self, will eat once before bed and wake up 2x at night (usually 3am and 5am and then 6:30am) for 5-10 minutes. My baby doesn't usually eat more than 5-10 minutes at a time and usually only on one side at night (oversupply a bit).

I usually look at the day as a whole, if she ate well during the day and is just fussy at night and not eating much at night then it balances out. Overall she feeds 8 times a day for 5-10 minutes really well (11pm, 3am, 5am, 6:30am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 5pm). Between 5pm and 11pm she may eat well or may not eat much at all.

Good luck! Let me know if you find out a good tip about fussiness :-) I have a few I've learned but can always use more.

Don't worry- you don't sound nutty! I mean, it's not like you're worried that aliens are beaming their brain waves into you, and what you really need is instructions on making a tinfoil hat. You just sound very worried, and we all worry about our babies. So if you already have a tendency to be an anxious person, this might be a time to evaluate that kind of carefully, YK? A lot of mamas, including myself, look back on the early weeks and months of their baby's infancy and think "Whoa! It was rough and I was in a kind of weird place, mentally." A lot of it is just hormonal and sleep deprivation!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't worry- you don't sound nutty! I mean, it's not like you're worried that aliens are beaming their brain waves into you, and what you really need is instructions on making a tinfoil hat. You just sound very worried, and we all worry about our babies. So if you already have a tendency to be an anxious person, this might be a time to evaluate that kind of carefully, YK? A lot of mamas, including myself, look back on the early weeks and months of their baby's infancy and think "Whoa! It was rough and I was in a kind of weird place, mentally." A lot of it is just hormonal and sleep deprivation!
    You've already obviously received excellent feedback from mommal -- but i wanted to second this: i worried about EVERYTHING for the first six months of my baby's life. everything. i also trend toward anxiety (to say the least) and this was completely compounded by PP hormones and sleep deprivation. If you think the anxiety is a problem (your original post said your worry was making both you and your husband sick, which i think is not a great thing) I would second the suggestion to talk to someone outside of your family/support system. My DH actually finally called a counselor on my behalf because he was worried about my anxiety - but didn't do that until about four or five months PP -- and i can honestly say i wish he'd called sooner. It helped so tremendously. I hope your appointment with the LC goes well and will ease your worries.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

You don't sound nutty--I would bet that a lot of moms on here are reading what you have to say and thinking, "I remember feeling that way." It can be hard when you don't have the immediate feedback of the empty bottle to look at to see how much your LO is getting. And being a FTM is hard.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My heart is warmed by all of your supportive responses. Thank you! I am amazed at how an internet forum can feel so warm :-). I will give some serious thought to checking out a counselor; that may really help. When I think about it, I really need to be able to be okay and not feel like a failure if the worst happened (in my mind having to solely give formula from a bottle and lose that sweet nursing relationship), and learn to live more in the now, instead of anticipating the worst perceived future possible. I don't know about any of you, but I am really amazed at how much becoming a mom has brought up in me all sorts of different things. Some them wonderfully delightful, and some of them I need to deal with. For example I was surprised that when my daughter would cry and cry and cry, I would get angry! Now, I know that that is quite normal (I was not about to lose control at all), but I would think, how can you be angry about your tiny sweet baby crying, and then I would be upset that I was angry. You are all right, it is a roller coaster! I guess I kinda thought after the first 3 months, everything would be great, (hahaha). Anyway, I will keep you all posted, and thanks again so much!

Is the diaper output good? Is she gaining well? I would think these are the main things to look at. My DS started having a poor latch after I introduced a soothie to him. After a few stressful weeks I switched him to a different paci and latch improved.
    Good luck

Diaper output is good she is gaining. How old was your baby when you introduced the soothie, and what kind did you switch to?

Mama! I think you're fixating too much on the worst case scenario, really really. I have a very hard time seeing how you could get from where you are now (ebf) to there (formula feeding) - it just doesn't make sense unless taht's a choice you make. I'm not saying that I don't understand that is a fear of yours. But everything you've said, except for what you perceive as a bad latch, does not point to any sort of need for that. Good diaper output, good poops, good sleeping, not painful.... nothing even remotely points to having to switch to pumping, muchless switching to formula. I really so know what it's like to become obsessed with a negative thought. I try hard to replace that with a really positive one -- you could maybe try focusing on your little sweetie nursing happily on your breasts, swallowing her Mamas milk. I used to do that when I pumped at work in a little grungy bathroom . And not to be a broken record -- but i'd urge you to do more than think about the counselor. I was so pleasantly surprised by how could it felt to spew all of the wildness that was consuming my brain. It really made it feel like I could breathe easier. Another Hug, Mama.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Another head nod here - at two months, I had oversupply/OALD and my DS had only green poops. I became totally fixated on correcting the problem, sure that he wasn't getting enough nutrients and was nursing wrong. (the Dr. Newman videos are helpful, but my baby's excellent gulps never looked exactly like the ones in the good or great videos.). Really, all we needed was time and some block feeding, and everything worked out fine. It's definitely normal to worry a bit, but if all signs point to normal, then why borrow trouble?

I still get lipstick nipples and my son is almost 4 months old! I used to obsess about it, but I just realize its the way he sucks. Its not painful at all, he produces a lot of wet and poopy diapers, is alert and happy and is gaining weight. I have also found that he has a worse latch if I feed him side lying on my right side only, but I think its a problem with my positioning him, not anything inherent in side-lying nursing. We are working on it but right now I only feed him side lying on the left because he mangled my right nipple recently due to poor latch.

Hang in there, you will get your confidence and this will all seem like a dream!!