Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: combining milk for freezing

Default combining milk for freezing

Im wanting to start a stash since im relactating and hes not nursing all the time yet (maybe 5 minutes a day right now if at all) so is it okay for me to combine 2 days milk (i only make 1-2 ounces a day right now) and freeze it AFTER its already been in the refridgerator for 4-5 days?

Default Re: combining milk for freezing

That's a great question. I am wondering the same thing. Glad you asked. I hope someone else has some answers. Congratulations on relactating what a lucky LO you have to work so hard for him/her!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Yes that's ok, you just date the combined bag with the date of the oldest milk in there
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Check to make sure you don't have lipase first!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have no idea what that is or what to look for to see if i have it.. what the rule for combining frozen milk and fresh for storage?

Once milk is frozen you don't add anything to it.

I don't check for lipase, I personally wouldn't worry about that, it's an overactive enzyme that turns your milk bad and you have to use alternative storage treatments.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'd check. It SUCKS to have stored milk and then find out the baby won't take it.

It's not hard to check. See the lipase thread.

I never add to previously frozen milk either. I have heard that theoretically, you could add cold milk to the frozen milk and it would be OK if the amount isn't enough to thaw what was frozen, but...I've never done that. Instead, I used to keep little bits and just save them up over the day and then freeze that amount. Before I learned I had a lipase problem, I saved over several days, but then...the baby refused it!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!