Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Twiddling

Default Twiddling

My ultimate goal is to nurse my son until he is 2. He is only 5 months right now but I hope to make it!

My biggest fear is having a twiddler. Do all toddlers do this?

I am not sure why I am so paranoid about it. Even now if my son grabs my other boob I gently move him away.

When twiddling first starts do some moms let it go until it is suddenly a habit? Or is just something that you have to fight when nursing a toddler? Is there any way to prevent my son from developing the habit?

Thanks for your answers!

Default Re: Twiddling

Don't worry too much about it. Not all kids twiddle, and you can usually stop the habit from developing simply by covering the unused nipple. You can't twiddle something you cannot grab. Many babies will knead the breast as they nurse- it helps stimulate milk flow. But kneading is different from twiddling, and generally not as annoying. Just keep the little fingernails trimmed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Twiddling is very annoying for me I can't handle it my son knows how much it bothers me but it's almost as if he can't help but do it. I have heard of big necklaces you can get for child to play with them instead of your other breast. I wish I would have done this but now he is almost 3 so I don't think it would be worth it. If I have another child I will definitely try it
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

After reading posts with moms of older nurslings voicing frustration about the whole twiddling thing, I made it a point to cover up on the unoccupied side. That has helped tremendously because DS is now big enough to notice and is interested in goofing with it if I do forget to cover up. Once I pull my shirt up/down on that side, he forgets and goes back to nursing and pinching the skin on my neck or arms. Now if there was only a way I could have avoided the pinching . . . I always meant to invest in making or buying a nursing necklace, but I just never got around to it. They seem like a good idea.

My son has never twiddled (he's 19 months). I only expose one breast at a time. Now that his arms are longer, he does tend to have a roving hand. He has been known to pat or rub my arms, pat my tummy, poke my belly button, and reach up to my neck. (I should also note that he was hugely into poking his fingers into my mouth for a while, mostly when he was first teething). It's fine if he pats the non-nursing breast, but I won't allow twiddling, and if he seems to be taking too much of an interest in the other nip, I just put my hand over it. IME, it's only a big deal if it's a habit you have to break. Prevent the habit from developing, and it's a non-issue.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I think part of what is annoying about twiddling is related to the fact that it's being done by a toddler. A lot of the cute little things my kiddos did at the beginning became annoying once they were about 18 months old. My son rubbed the back of my arm (he still does even though he's weaned), my daughter pinches my arms and belly. What I've found is that when my child starts something that actually annoys me, I gently redirect them. I would not waste time worrying about something becoming annoying to you later, just deal with it as it comes. I do have a nursing necklace, and it has not worked for us as my daughter just yanks on it and hurts my neck. Oh well. There's a link on kellymom.com called "Nursing Manners" I think. I don't have time to link it as I'm at work and gotta go.

HTH
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

With #2 I am not going to tolerate twiddling at all. It was VERY annoying with my toddler when she got older and it was a hard habit to get her to break.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Wanted to add that the twiddling didn't start driving me nuts until fertility returned @ 21 mo.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby