Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavities - need some encouragement

Default Cavities - need some encouragement

So the dentist pretty much blamed my sons cavities on breastfeeding. Just wondering if anyone else had had to have their child's cavities fixed at a young age, and how they handled it? I am really nervous about the appointment. Breastfeeding is usually the way I am able to comfort him, but I don't think that will be an option since they are numbing his mouth. Anyone know how long the numbing lasts or what will happen if he tries to nurse? Any suggestions or tips? Also how do I keep this from happening again?

Default Re: Cavities - need some encouragement

Here's a link to some research information on breastfeeding and dental caries.
    http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/caries.htm

I don't have any experience to share but maybe bring along some information to the appointment? I just googled "breastfeeding and cavities" and found all kinds of information.
    D 1995
    C 1996
    A 1998
    B 2012

Breastfeeding - nursing at the breast- does not cause cavities. If it did, more children who nurse rather than get bottles would have more calories than those who do not, and this is simply, provably, not the case. This is simply ridiculous to suggest.

I would suggest looking into taking xylitol, and adopting regular and correct brushing habits (hard with a toddler, but not impossible.) As far as dealing with the fillings, personally I would not be using a dentist who blamed me for that fact my child has calories. This would make me concerned they were not offering me all the options available. No one likes to have procedures done on their young child, But if you are very nervous about a procedure that is pretty standard dental care, then maybe this is a sign this is not the right dentist for your family.

No cavities here, but I can say that night nursing (and frequent daytime nursing!) hasn't caused cavities in my almost-4 DS, who just had a dental appointment today.

This is a kid who only started brushing with fluoride toothpaste 3 months ago and who, prior to that, only had his teeth brushed with water 2x/day.

The caries come from either hygiene or diet issues, a genetic predisposition to caries, or some combination thereof. The former is avoidable, the latter is the hand nature dealt you. Nursing? Not the culprit.

I would be going to another dentist immediately. Breastfeeding does not cause cavities. My dental office impliesthe same Inorant accaccusation but I have never let them touch my kid beyond peeking at the health of his teeth. Mine has nursed around the clock for over two yrs and still uses fluoride free toothpaste and knock on wood we are fine except for some staining from tea. I would check with other dentist find someone more supportive. From my experience the numbing doesn't go away for at least couple hrs. Depending on how your lo responds to the lidocaine it would probably be a rough few hours after. How old is your babe?

He is 2 1/2. He still nurses quite a bit though, and especially if he is going through something like that where he would need conforted. I still nurse him to sleep and at naps. I honestly don't know what to do if he isn't feeling good afterwards since breastfeeding is his goto. I feel like the cavities are more likely from sugar at daycare, but I still need to have them fixed (even if I go somewhere else), but I'm not sure how he's going to handle it. Unfortunately it has been another reason for my husband to want to wean him (he thinks he's "too old").

There are many wonderful resources out that explain the normalcy and appropriateness and benefits of nursing to two and beyond. Additionally, your husband may be interested to know that not one single child health organization of any repute suggests in any way that there is ANY age at which a child is "too old" for nursing. This is one fairly short article that I like: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BT

When my friend had to have her toddlers tooth decay addressed by the dentist, she found a dentist who walked her through the process with clear advice for how to handle the child's understandable fears with compassion for her concerns. This is the very least I would expect from a pediatric dentist.

My son had 4 cavities the 1st time he went to the dentist. Which wasn't until he was a bit over 3. But I didn't tell them we were still nursing so they didn't blame it on that. They just did nitrous so he could stay away while he filled them. They did them all in one sitting. With the little thing over his nose and him breathing oxygen through his mouth.

Way too lazy for formula

I was really worried about my daughter having tooth decay, too.
    Her first trip to the dentist was at 13 months old. He told me then I "had" to stop nursing at night or she would absolutely get cavities, without a doubt. Well I tried that for about 2 hours the next night and said to hell with it.
    I just took her back at 19 months and he said her teeth were beautiful (little does he know we still nurse about 2-4 times a night )
    mom to one beautiful 10/31/13

If you're breastfeeding through the night and the baby is falling asleep on the breast with some milk in their mouth then that could cause cavities - it's called bottle rot because people would let babies fall asleep with bottles of milk and the milk sits on their teeth. If you think thats the case, you could try nursing and then waking baby just a little bit so they swallow it, or give a sip of water after. Or brush teeth after your last nursing if its not in the night.

My dentist stressed the importance of brushing before bed being the most important time