Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: For how long BM is good ??? Help...

Default For how long BM is good ??? Help...

Hi ladies,

I have 3 children and I didn't BF my 2 older ones, I was too young then that I didn't know the benefit of it. Now that I have my LO I realized how important is BF, but I am still new on this.

I work and have to pump. My LO is 5 months old and sometimes my DH feeds him with my frozen BM. The other day a friend of us asked me, if my BM from 2 or 3 months old would benefit my baby because he is 5 month old and my BM was from when he was 2 or 3 months old? She said my BM changes while my baby is getting older and my old BM would not be what he needs.

Is this true and maybe I am not doing it right?

Default Re: For how long BM is good ??? Help...

It will be fine!! I pump today for tomorrow and then freeze the last days milk of the week. Then on Monday I use my oldest milk. I think that I used 2 month old milk this week on Monday. It is true that your milk changes as time goes on, but it is still the best thing for him and your "old" milk is a million times better than formula!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks. I appreciate your response.

fresh milk is the gold standard, however i work out of home and pump as well. my son drinks my milk from frozen and from a few months ago. its still amazing and as Tracie mentioned, a billion times better than formula.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The one concern can be where the BM is kept frozen; the colder it is the longer it can be kept.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Tuesday through Thursday my LO gets the milk I pumped the previous day; on Friday I freeze the milk and on Monday he gets the oldest milk in the freezer. Straight from the breast is obviously optimal but the frozen stuff is still good.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

What I do is mix frozen milk from whenever with fresh milk and use ASAP. This way I can rotate part of my stash and still help baby get the best out of our particular situation.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you so much.

I just printed the storage guidelines from the link the "science teacher" suggested, and I will put it on my fridge as a reminder. It is a good idea to mix frozen milk with fresh milk. I always thought it would damaged it, it's good to know. You're great !!!

I mix sometimes, but I always leave at least one "all fresh", b/c M doesn't always take that 4th bottle, and once you thaw frozen milk, you have to use it w/i 24 hrs.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I mix sometimes, but I always leave at least one "all fresh", b/c M doesn't always take that 4th bottle, and once you thaw frozen milk, you have to use it w/i 24 hrs.
    I tend to mix at night, when I know those bottles will be taken so I don't have to toss the mixed milk for that very reason.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!