Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introduce alternative milk?

Default Introduce alternative milk?

I wasn't sure what category to put this under....

DS is 20 months old and I plan on continuing to nurse him until we are ready to stop. I prefer to just nurse him at night and while we are home - it's easier that way so we don't get the questions from family.

Anyway, at daycare, DS has been having my expressed milk during the day and water (NO juice!). I stopped pumping in March, but had enough stored to last until now. I was wondering what you other mama's have done for your child? I am not a fan of cows milk - so I don't want to introduce that. DS has had coconut and almond milk - and has liked it! He eats well during the day, is it even necessary to introduce a different milk during the day or is it ok to just stick with water? What do you do? What do you suggest?
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Default Re: Introduce alternative milk?

It's ok to stick with water especially considering his age and that you continue to nurse when you are together. Do you also offer calcium rich foods? Like cottage cheese, yogert, etc?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

As long as you're still nursing 3-4 times a day you don't have to use an alternative milk. It won't hurt if you want to, but it's not necessary.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree. Water should be enough, as long as you are still nursing a few times a day and offering other dairy. My daughter was low in iron, so we didn't give her cow's milk either. She liked soy. Totally your call, mama.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I think we nurse 12037891092389023 times at night!! He started to STTN and recently with his molars coming in, stopped and now nurses when we come home from work @ 6 pm, before bed time 8 pm, 11 pm and/or 2 am, 6 am. If I am with him all day long, he will nurse more (like on weekends).

So, if I am getting this right, as long as he has other foods high in calcium, we should be ok with just water during the day? He always eats at least one yogurt a day. Any other foods besides dairy that are high in calcium?

Thanks for all your help!!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Sesame Seeds
    A quarter cup of sesame seeds has 351 mg calcium.

Spinach
    A cup of boiled spinach has 245 mg.

Collard Greens
    A cup of boiled collard greens has 266 mg.

Blackstrap Molasses
    One tablespoon has about 137 mg.

Kelp
    One cup of raw kelp has 136 mg.

Tahini
    Two tablespoons of raw tahini (sesame seed butter) have 126 mg.

Broccoli
    Two cups of boiled broccoli have 124 mg.

Swiss Chard
    One cup of boiled chard has 102 mg.

Kale
    One cup of boiled kale has 94 mg.

Brazil Nuts
    Two ounces of Brazil nuts (12 nuts) have 90 mg.

Celery
    Two cups of raw celery have 81 mg.

Almonds
    One ounce of almonds (23 nuts) has 75 mg.

Papaya
    One medium papaya has 73 mg.

Flax Seeds
    Two tablespoons of flax seeds have 52 mg.

Oranges
    One medium orange has 52 mg.

As you can see, eating a varied diet rich in dark leafy greens, fruit, nuts, and seeds will give you plenty of calcium and you'll get so many other health benefits from these foods as well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

While I kept nursing DD morning and night, I gave her rice milk during the day at home and at daycare (she is allergic to dairy). I don't mind the extra calcium and vitamins she gets from drinking a cup or two a day. Although lately she prefers water over the rice milk which is fine too, I am not overly concerned. She gets cereal some days with rice milk too in the morning.