Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He doesn't sleep in between nursings

Default He doesn't sleep in between nursings

So what's a mom to do when her little baby refuses to sleep between night nursings??

I feed him at 3AM and he then looks at me with wide-open eyes, that's when he's not grunting and crying to pass gas (he has a LOT of those). I even tried to co-sleep but he just wiggles, grunts, cries and refuses the breast.
    I've been crying in exaustion all night and this morning, he isn't sleeping either, I'm getting so desperate once again.

Default Re: He doesn't sleep in between nursings

I'm so sorry, you must be super tired.

Your baby is probably confused between day and night. Is he sleeping well during the day? I guess a gassy baby must be one of the causes too.

During the day try to keep him in the living room, open the shades and let the sun come in, the noise and everything. Play and sing with him.
    Then at night even if he fusses try to leave the lights off (maybe just a small night light) and keep him in bed. This will pass.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Ugh, don't you just love that?

Is there anything you're doing at night that might contribute to your LO being fully awake? Like turning on a light, moving from one room to another, getting out of bed and into a chair? If so, you might want to change those patterns. Otherwise... Well, all I can do is assure you that this stage will pass, and your baby will eventually learn that night is for sleeping and day is for play. Until then, just do your beat to nap whenever he naps. Even if it is just to lie down and close your eyes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's really common for new babies to have day and night mixed up. I think it took my LO a couple months to get straightened out. Rest as much as you can during the day. If you have someone who can help out during the day with chores, cooking, or watching the baby, that can be a huge help. And if you have someone who really wants to help you out, you could have a "sleep angel" for a night or two, someone who comes over to help with the baby at night so you can get some sleep between nursings.

If you can, figure out how to lie down while you nurse so that your body can rest physically even though you are still awake (and you and baby may just doze off, who knows?) And, as PP said, there are things you can do to help your baby get straightened out.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

He isn't a big sleeper, even by day...we are playing, going out in his stroller and I make a point of keeping all the shades open during the day so he sees the light. I also never put him in his room except at night so he can make the difference.

The thing is, the four first weeks went pretty well, he slept 5-6 hours straight at night, then a feed and another 3 hours, it was perfect.

So I don't understand what changed, here is what I do...

10PM--feed him in my bed, then put him in his bed when he's alseep (not the same room, but with a very dim light and a little song.) He sleeps well for about 4 hours.
    2 or 3AM he wakes, I pick him up from his bed, change his diaper because he has frequent little poops, bring him to my bed to feed but it's not as smooth, he's obviously very gassy because he fight like mad at the breast and grunts.
    I try to rub his stomach, he cries, I try to burp him, doesn't work. I offer the breast again but he pulls and fight, drinking only a little and seemingly falling asleep only to wake up with wide-eyes and screaming when I put him back to his little bed.

How can such a young baby sleep so little?
    I'm nursing him while lying down like suggested, and it usually helps me being more relaxed, but when he's fighting like that it isn't much help....
    And my patience is much lower at night, I cry for every little thing --especially when I don't know what to do to help him, it breaks my heart.

I'm starting to think he might be a high-needs baby, he needs nursing so frequently during the day, sometimes every 45 minutes. I was hoping it was only growth spurts but it's starting to be a regular feature now. It's pretty impossibly to go out even for a walk some days.

Is there something I could do to about this extra gas he's got? I tried cutting caffeine and milk, I massage his stomach in circles and it helps a little, only not at night...

So he wakes up again when you put him back to bed? What would happen if you didn't put him back to bed, but just kept him in bed with you? Sometimes babies just don't understand why should they have to go to sleep alone in a crib/cot/bassinet/cradle when their nice warm mommy is right there. I would try co-sleeping and see what happens. You may not have intended to co-sleep, but hey, neither did a lot of moms. But sometimes that is the only way to get any sleep!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO had bad gas. We made a small rice bag and I would warm it up a little in the mircowave, put it on her tummy and swaddle her. THen we'd lay in bed and nurse. It worked better than anything else I tried. You might also try those gas drops, they did do a lot for us, but some mom's find they work well. Other than that, I agree with PP's, even the gas will pass with time, just get naps as much as you can with LO!

I did try co-sleeping last night, and that's when he became very gassy and squirmy, I ended up not sleeping at all trying to figure out what was wrong and trying to sooth him.
    Sometimes he would sleep soundly for 20 minutes then wake up because he was too hot or grunting in pain.

I do have drops that I will try to give him tonigh, I really hope it works, if not I will try the heat-bag.

Thank you ladies.

He's really young yet. You guys will figure it out. My older daughter nursed constantly around the clock at that age too and I couldn't get out of the house either. When you try to go for a walk, are you putting him in a stroller? Or in a carrier?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes it's true he's still young, but I always worry it will stay that way for months and months, that's the kind of negative thinking I get when overly tired...:P
    For the walks, I put him in his car-seat that gets fixed to a stroller.