Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing breast

Default Refusing breast

Hi, dear, I have same problem. My baby just 6 weeks old. In last two days, he also had cried non stop at the breast after a few minutes (about 4-5) and will not go back on the breast. I had to do a lot of thing to clam him down - like, holding him walk around, burping, swaddling. Eventually, he did back on the breast again. But the whole feeding for one side breast took about an hour. I had same situation - during the weekend, a lot of friends were visiting, baby hasn't slept too much. Is that a problem? or something wrong with my breast or the feeding position? Please help.

Default Re: Refusing breast

Moved from the "Is it me or baby?" thread. I don't want it to get overlooked!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Refusing breast

If baby is still producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, and you are not in pain when nursing, then your supply is fine and the long feedings are normal. There's often a big growth spurt at around 6 weeks, so that could account for some of what you are seeing. However, if the baby's diaper output is low- particularly urine output, since at 6 weeks poop output may have slowed down a lot, to as little as 1 x per week- then it's time to troubleshoot and probably to see the doc. A baby who refuses th breast is sometimes a hurting baby, so you'd want to get your LO's ears checked for infection.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"