Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What to do???

Default What to do???

For the past almost 2-weeks my baby, currently 7-weeks, has been having green stools. In the beginning he as also gassy & uncomfortable and spit-up often and even had lots of gulping early on in the feeding. During this time he also has had a cold. Really congested at first, better, and then really congested again now. I tried block feeding and within a couple days the stools had gone back to a more yellowish/green. Not completely normal, but not nearly as dark green as before. This stayed the same, except for the morning stool (not sure why?) until a couple days ago. Now they are much more consistently dark green, a little mucousy, and runny. He is now not gassy and he spits up maybe once per day and hardly anything at all compared to a couple weeks ago.

Over the weekend I wasn't the best with block feeding he seemed very, very hungry and I couldn't tolerate him eating forever on one side (though I did try). I am thinking growth spurt because this happened a few weeks ago as well. Not sure if this is why the stools have returned to the darker green, runny consistency. Or if maybe his cold is playing into the whole thing since it has been lingering the whole time.

Today I am trying to stick to a 3-hour block feeding schedule. He isn't as hungry, but still eating quite a bit, so I am thinking the little growth spurt might be done with. Eating very well when he does eat. Still dark green stools, but not as runny, mucousy as before. He is tired because he didn't sleep well last night due to his congestion (he is more than making up for that lack of sleep today though!). When he is awake he is all smiles and alert and calm. No crying or fussiness. He is gaining well.

At this point I am not sure if this is a fore/hindmilk imbalance issue. Or possibly something else. Trying to decide how much longer I give this to work. If I should consider the dairy protein allergy or not. I'd call my ped but I don't really like them and know they would jump to formula and I absolutley refuse to do that. We are switching to a new ped in September (Dr. Sears office!). I guess I could call them but due to insurance I couldn't go in until September.

Any advice??? Should I stop dairy now or give the cold a couple days to fizzle out and see what happens then???

Default Re: What to do???

Sounds like a classic case of o/s to me. You have very energetic breasts. I do too. Same thing happens to me with every baby for the first 4 months. 3 hour blocks may not be long enough because it sounds like as soon as your body realizes your baby is eating more on one side, it quickly catches up. A couple of things to try: 1) longer blocks of time 2) try seeing if when your baby complains he's actually tired and not hungry. At about 7 weeks, my babies peak in fussiness and I always assume they're hungry when in actuality they're usually tired but are old enough that they can't just fall asleep as easily as they did when they were a newborn.

Loose green, mucousy stools is a sign of getting too much foremilk. It happens when you have so much milk, the baby can't eat enough to get to the hindmilk. The fact that they got yellower when you were block feeding seems to confirm this. Increasing your block feeding lengths should help correct it. I'll warn you right now though, at about 3.5-4 months your body will likely regulate and you will feel like your breasts suddenly got empty and stopped producing milk. You'll panic that you're starving your baby. You won't be. It's totally normal. I live for that stage because I can usually start feeding on both sides again at that point so my breasts are more evenly sized, and my baby finally gets to that hindmilk and is much more comfortable. Just try really hard to learn your baby's different cues right now. What does he do when he's tired or needs a diaper, how is that different from what he does when he's hungry? If you can recognize those things, you won't panic as much when your milk regulates because you'll be able to tell he's satisfied.

Ooooh, also know how to recognize a plugged duct or mastitis so you can get rid of it early if you get it. It's pretty common in the first few months with o/s and not very fun.

Good luck!!

Green stools are not abnormal. Even runny mucousy stools are not a problem unless baby is not gaining weight. you don't have an foremilk hind milk imbalance. you have a healthy baby who has green stools.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I am having similar issues...can you explain what block feeding is? I definitely have over active let down and fore milk/hindmilk imbalance. I've taken some measures to correct this, and things have improved. However, 'though the color is back to normal, she is still having a lot of mucus in her stools. Some think it may be allergies, but I am not sure yet. Thanks! Good luck for your situation, too!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*GAmom View Post
    I am having similar issues...can you explain what block feeding is? I definitely have over active let down and fore milk/hindmilk imbalance. I've taken some measures to correct this, and things have improved. However, 'though the color is back to normal, she is still having a lot of mucus in her stools. Some think it may be allergies, but I am not sure yet. Thanks! Good luck for your situation, too!
    Block feeding is when you offer the same breast until it is "empty". So you may start on the left side through 2-3 feedings and never offer the right side. It's a way of telling your body to decrease your supply.

It's true, green stools can be the sign of many problems or none at all. Which is why you need to look at the big picture. Is there mucous? Fussiness? Excess spitting up? Tons of gas? Back arching? Blood in the stool? Not sleeping? Not gaining? Gaining weight too quickly? It's hard to assess a situation from just one symptom.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Here is the super scientific explanation of block feeding: http://www.internationalbreastfeedin...content/2/1/11

I had the fore/hind milk imbalance issue with DS, I used to offer same breast for two feedings before switching sides. It took a couple of weeks to get better but once in a while he still had green poops. Once he started eating solids, the issue resolved on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    It's true, green stools can be the sign of many problems or none at all. Which is why you need to look at the big picture. Is there mucous? Fussiness? Excess spitting up? Tons of gas? Back arching? Blood in the stool? Not sleeping? Not gaining? Gaining weight too quickly? It's hard to assess a situation from just one symptom.
    Green poop may be a sign of a problem, but it's not a problem in itself. It could be the congestion... Some say the excess saliva from teething can cause changes in stool color, so it seems possible excess mucus could do the same. In any case, if he's generally content, comfortable, and gaining well, you may not need to do anything. I think you could afford to wait and watch for a couple days to see if it changes again as he gets over his cold.

Oh, one other thought... Are either you or your baby taking iron supplements?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--