Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage at work

Default Storage at work

I work in a hospital, I came back to work when my daughter was 3 months old. Since then I have pumped at work and kept my milk in the "breast milk fridge". Yesterday I actually had a few people freaking out that I was putting my milk there and thought it might be against policy and that I should keep my milk in the employee fridge with the food. Isn't that a JACHO violation? What really made me mad was when people, including my educator starting making comments about me still breastfeeding after a year.

Turns out I was doing everything right but I can't believe so many people in the post partum field could be so weird about breastfeeding. I can't help but be angry that I had to defend myself. No one we are not a breastfeeding hospital yet!

Sorry, had to rant

Default Re: Storage at work

Sorry. I don't know what a JACHO violation is, but I keep my milk in the fridge with the employee food. We don't have a breastmilk fridge at my work.

It's really weird that they would think you shouldn't put breastmilk in the breastmilk fridge.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I keep mine in our little mini fridge, and nobody's said anything. But I work with mostly women and for the Head Start program, so everybody's pretty understanding. When 2 women were nursing and pumping at my husband's office though (an engineering firm with mainly men), I know they were pretty weirded out. I told him to chill and that he should know better.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

I don't know what is wrong with putting milk in the breast milk fridge, but I do know that it is perfectly safe and legal to put it in the employee food fridge. After all it is food.

I guess I should clarify something. I don't have a problem keeping my milk in the employee food fridge. Working in the hospital there was a lot of controversy over "body fluids" in with food. I work on a mom/baby unit therefore we have a breast milk fridge. We had inspectors going thru the unit and people started to freak out about my milk. I mostly felt affended that I was being confronted so much on why I was still even breastfeeding much less pumping. It made me feel like I just want to pump wean, but if the baby sleeps thru the night and I don't pump at work I will be going 24 hours between feeds.

I'm just mad I guess. Why should my milk be any different just because no one believes I should still be nursing?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lewsmommy View Post
    I guess I should clarify something. I don't have a problem keeping my milk in the employee food fridge. Working in the hospital there was a lot of controversy over "body fluids" in with food. I work on a mom/baby unit therefore we have a breast milk fridge. We had inspectors going thru the unit and people started to freak out about my milk. I mostly felt affended that I was being confronted so much on why I was still even breastfeeding much less pumping. It made me feel like I just want to pump wean, but if the baby sleeps thru the night and I don't pump at work I will be going 24 hours between feeds.

I'm just mad I guess. Why should my milk be any different just because no one believes I should still be nursing?
    mama, don't doubt yourself because of someone else's opinion or ignorance. i plan on pumping past a year. i dont like pumping but i want to still give milk. i will see at that point. i think you are doing a great thing.

i am still confused about the breastmilk fridge though. who keeps their milk in there and why would your milk be any different?

Seems odd to me as well. Since our fridge is a little icky at work at times, I just use a tiny cooler. I put the ice packs in before work and then pump 3x a day and pop in the pumping equipment into the cooler with the milk so it stays cool. Then I just wash out the pump equipment and put the milk in the fridge when I get home. It stays just as cool as my fridge at home and I feel better about my milk staying safe from others. Sounds like your work is worried about your milk...weird.

You're right to be confused. It doesn't make sense. The breast milk fridge is mostly for moms (patients) who are pumping for different reasons and want to save their milk. Employees have always kept their milk there as well since there was so much stress over putting it anywhere else. When the inspectors came my educator asked us to make sure there was no expired milk in the fridge or other violations. THAT is when the person checking came up to me freaking out. "Is it supposed to be in there? did you lable it right? Did you double bag it? YES YES YES.

Then I started getting "Why are you still even pumping? When are you going to wean?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lewsmommy View Post
    You're right to be confused. It doesn't make sense. The breast milk fridge is mostly for moms (patients) who are pumping for different reasons and want to save their milk. Employees have always kept their milk there as well since there was so much stress over putting it anywhere else. When the inspectors came my educator asked us to make sure there was no expired milk in the fridge or other violations. THAT is when the person checking came up to me freaking out. "Is it supposed to be in there? did you lable it right? Did you double bag it? YES YES YES.

Then I started getting "Why are you still even pumping? When are you going to wean?"

I noticed hospital rules were weird when I took our youngest to a children's hospital for surgery. When I asked the nurse about storing my milk, she said she would have to go get some gloves, and it had to go to the breastmilk freezer. Huh? I'll want it again in a few hours. But they wouldn't let me put it in the fridge.

You could store it in a cooler with an ice pack, and it will be fine just to shut them up about where you are keeping it. But it won't stop the "why are you still pumping?" questions.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've always been afraid of the cooler packs. Between when I leave for work and when I get home is about 14 hours. Will they keep my milk cool enough?