Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't pump more than an ounce =(

Unhappy Can't pump more than an ounce =(

Hello, I was pumping about 4 ounces 3x/day before the summer but took a vacation. My baby is 7 months old and started solids about a month ago. He still feeds throughout the day but mostly at night. I tried pumping again and I can only get a half ounce ! What am I going to do, I start work again in a week =(

Could it be because I didn't pump for awhile and it will take a little time to work again ? I know the eating solid is not helping. Does that mean my son is not getting enough milk when he's at the breast ?

Thanks for your experiences and advices. I am not ready to give up breastfeeding.

Default Re: Can't pump more than an ounce =(

It could be a number of things. Your LO starting solids and not pumping for so long are probably both contributing factors, but I would also have a look at your breastpump and see that the suction is as good as it once was and that there are no small tears ect in the membranes which are very hard to see with the naked eye so you may just need to replace them anyway. In any case, don't give up, because even if you only manage that ounce a day every little drop counts!!! Start building a freezer stash now and do whatever you can to get your supply up. Eat oatmeal/rolled oats, pump a little more frequently (ALWAYS after baby is fed though!), get as much rest as you can get away with, do breast compressions as you pump..
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

As long as your baby seems satisfied at the breast, and us growing well and wetting enough diapers, he is getting enough at the breast. I expect the reason for diminished pump output is your summer vacation. 1 oz is actually a very normal amount to pump, especially when you pump after nursing instead of pumping in place of nursing. I would use this week to work on your freezer stash and hope that when you are pumping instead of nursing you will see an increased volume of milk. Do you have a back-up plan if you don't? If not, now is probably the time to make one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal is right on! 1oz is a normal amount to pump, and the nappy count will tell you if your LO is getting enough. I had a supply dip around 7mos and it went back up again. It was related to my DD's growing interest in food and her more efficient bfing, so she was at the breast for shorter periods. OK, also I got pg then too but before I knew I was pg my supply went back up within a week from dilligent pumping at work (to eventually go down again dur to pg hormones, but that's another story). I actually never had more than 3 2-oz bottles in my freezer at any time, but we do co-sleeping so DD night nursed to get more calories. Night nursing is one of the best ways to up your supply as the lactation hormones are at their peak overnight, which is why we wake up with full breasts.

If you want more supply, see if you can get LO back on the breast more often, s/he is your most reliable breast pump and do have a look at the state/age of your pump, which should be a year or less. A double electric pump is truly necessary for a mother who works part-time or more with a young infant under 1.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    If you want more supply, see if you can get LO back on the breast more often, s/he is your most reliable breast pump
    ITA!!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply