Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Arching Back All the Time

Default Baby Arching Back All the Time

Hi all. I am not even sure if this is a feeding issue or something else. My baby is almost 4 months old and EBF. He has taken to arching his back constantly. He actually doesn't do it too much while he's eating, but while laying down on his back, or in the stroller, or his swing or chair, you name it, he arches. When I change him he arches so hard that when I lift his legs to get the diaper under him his body is stiff all the way to his neck.

He also won't tolerate tummy time, just arches his back and lifts his arms and legs away from the mat and cries. Is this gas, is he not tolerating something in my milk well? I haven't had a change in diet that I am aware of, but I just can't think of what else it would be. Reflux? He doesn't spit up much.

He has also been pooping a lot more (4-5 times a day instead of 1-2) and he is sleeping terribly compared to a few weeks ago. TIA for any ideas!

Default Re: Baby Arching Back All the Time

Could be reflux. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Arching back is a symptom of it.

I agree with pp. Even if he doesn't spit up it could be silent reflux... Is he unhappy at all during feedings?

Generally, feedings are the only time that he doesn't arch. That's why I was wondering if it could be reflux... can it just develop after months of no problems?

Definitely look into the reflux if he seems to be in pain. The increase in diapers may be a sign too. However on another note, my baby learned very early on that if he arches his back he gets picked up. He is now 5 months old and arches his back whenever an adult is nearby - he even does it to my 9 year old son. It's possible it's just a form of communication too. Just something to consider. It's always so hard to guess when they can't tell you themselves Good luck!

My daughter is 4.5 months, and she arches also. It's not exactly the same issue because she seems to really enjoy tummy time and will roll herself onto her tummy. But, she does arch a lot when placed in car seat or swing or sitting in my lap. I've always thought she was just trying to stand up.
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com

Yes, I have been wondering if it is him trying to roll over. He has been trying very hard to roll lately, even making incredibly frustrated sounds when he can't do it. He has rolled from his tummy to his back a couple times, and from his back he can roll to his side, but he can't seem to figure out how to get over his arms haha. He also arches when I think he wants to be picked up, my Mom noticed that, too.

Could the increase in poopy diapers be from teething? He has been very gassy lately, too. Farting a LOT. I have his 4 month check up next week. Any recommendations as to what to tell the pediatrician in reference to reflux? Anything I should be taking note of?

I think there's a good chance he just got a little tummy bug somehow. My 4 month old picked one up and was throwing up for a couple of days, but it went away and all was fine. If you haven't recently introduced a new food to either your baby or yourself, there's a good chance it isn't food related. I'd give it a few days and see if it clears up. If not, tell the pediatrician exactly what you told us, his diapers have been increasing and he's not sleeping well and seems very gassy. The good news is you already have the appointment! You don't have to sit around wondering if it's worth it to go in or not.