Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mucus/Foul Odor in Diapers

Default Re: Mucus/Foul Odor in Diapers

Hmm, if she's still hungry it's fine to offer the second breast. My daughter had reflux but Zantac helped tremendously. Have you tried meds? I'm wondering if oversupply is your problem. You mentioned eliminating dairy. How has that been going?

I understand how frustrating this is for you. You just want your baby to be well and you're trying a million things and nothing is working. Definitely see the LC and maybe see if you can find a pedi who has experience with breastfeeding to also help you troubleshoot.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Hmm, if she's still hungry it's fine to offer the second breast. My daughter had reflux but Zantac helped tremendously. Have you tried meds? I'm wondering if oversupply is your problem. You mentioned eliminating dairy. How has that been going?

I understand how frustrating this is for you. You just want your baby to be well and you're trying a million things and nothing is working. Definitely see the LC and maybe see if you can find a pedi who has experience with breastfeeding to also help you troubleshoot.
    Thanks for answering! I was so tired when I typed the above last night, and I feel more like a survivor today! LOL! My only reason for trying to hold off on the second breast (if possible...I won't let her cry in hunger!) is to make sure she was truly emptying the first. She has a tendency to pull off when the flow isn't so quick. She doesn't always seem to want to work for it, and she falls asleep easily, so it's a battle to keep her awake and to completely finish. It's getting better now that she's older. She's starting to look around with her eyes more and take in her surroundings, so it's offering some stimuli to keep her awake.

She's taken Zantac, but it seems to be giving her liquid bowel movements...I mean literally it almost looks like egg yolks. Also, I am a little freaked about the potential of alcohol in it. I smelled it and it smells like peppermint and alcohol..is this your experience?? She takes it pretty well (1/2 ml twice a day), and I've noticed the crying spells have lessened.

I've eliminated the biggest culprits of dairy. But I am discovering more and more things that I am eating that have dairy in them that I never thought would! It seems to have helped some, but I am still seeing various amounts of mucous at this point. She does drool horribly (probably due to reflux), so I am not sure if the dairy is causing the problems or not...especially since I was taking in the hidden dairy! One doc says it's due to the reflux. Another says it's a possible allergy. They always conflict, so it's super frustrating. The second doc is quick to throw formula samples at me. I don't get the impression either one of them is super well versed in BF...so far I've not had any luck with peds that do around here. So frustrating!! When I see the LC I am hoping she may know of a doc that is familiar AND supportive of BF. I think the docs above don't care one way or the other...they just don't have a lot of knowledge about the matter.

Also, the smelly diapers come and go too. Originally they smelled foul like curdled milk. Now they smell more like cheese?? Have you had this?? My understanding was that BF babies diapers didn't smell. My first DDs never did until she started solids.

Also, is it possible to have OALD without OS??? I definitely have OALD...leaking, spraying, etc. She's gulping, squeaking and clicking (every now and then).

Heading to LC...things calmed down for awhile, and now the crazy diapers are back! Have an appointment, and I am super excited to talk to the LC ladies. They have already been soooooo incredibly nice, and one even called me back after 10 minutes of setting up my appointment with a number for TWO allergists in the same office. One is an allergist for children and infants, and the other one works with children is married to a LC!! So hopefully, they can give me some answers before I drive myself crazy with guilt! Thankfully, DD2 seems to be growing quite well. I took her off the reflux meds...I felt so strongly for some reason that she did not need to be on this. Her diapers did improve (no longer liquidy) and she doesn't appear to reflux unless I have accidentally ingested something she's reacting to. Keep everyone posted, and please keep any suggestions, thoughts, advice coming!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Forgive me, I am ulta tired and not had the best day (found out my blood pressure is staying too high...I wonder why!!! Gotta keep an eye on it.) Went to LC today and was super psyched to see that she was definitely a IBCLC. She's not ultra sure about the allergy thing; however, we did discover that I now I have low supply! I swear my ladies are either over achievers or under achievers. DD should be taking in about 30 ounces in order to gain weight. Based on what she took in during the consult and the typical number of times she feeds per day, she's getting about half of her needed amount. She's only gained 1 pound 2 ounces since her last appointment at the end of August. NOT GOOD. I am afraid that between the stress of all this, changing my diet and her sleeping so well through out the night, a new problem has emerged. And of course, if she's not getting enough hind milk due to shallow latches! So now I am trying to get better latches, nurse more often, and I've been instructed to wake her up for night time feeding. She also suggested eating oatmeal (not the instant junk), and possibly taking Reglan to give my supply a quick boost. She did some research while I was there, and she's wondering based on family history if DD actually is lactose intolerant...not necessarily allergic to cow milk protein. For now, we are focusing on improving my supply, and seeing what happens with DD's stools. If the supply comes up, but the problems continue, the next logical step would be to see the allergist and a GI. I have read that babies can have temporary lactose intolerance due to several things (one being allergy), but another due to inefficient feeding sessions. DD takes FORVER to eat (anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour!) She's too old to be taking this long now. Since her latches have been shallow, this could explain the long nursing sessions.

So I am going to keep a journal form here on out. Number feeds, diaper descriptions, foods eaten, etc. to have ready just in case. I am tired and exhausted (I have a three year old too!), that I really can't remember anything. Definitely have mommy brain right now. So in addition to increasing feeds, she wants me to pump 10 minutes after every feeding session. She also wants me to pump 5 minutes before nursing in order to get DD to the hind milk faster. However, already since she helped me with latching, I've noticed DD is getting to the hind milk faster, and she's feeding more quickly! Yah...at least something is going right! I hope we can resolve this...I am getting depressed about this (not helping supply either) and feel like I am going in rounds.

The other interesting thing is baby can have lactose overload due to antibiotics. Right about the time all of this happened, I was on an antibiotic due to a UTI from the catheter I had in the hospital from DD's c-section. This could have aggravated her system, and now everything is out of whack! Here's to hoping to seeing some resolution and improvement SOON!

Wow. I really hope it comes together for you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    Wow. I really hope it comes together for you.
    Thank you! I need all the encouragement I can get...thank the Lord for the forum and a wonderfully supportive husband! Otherwise, I may lose my mind! LOL

Gamom, I've been experiencing the green smelly, mucousy poops for over a week now with my 8 week old LO, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the solution. Just wanted to say thanks for posting such detailed experiences in trying to solve this, it's helping me figure out what to do!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Oh! One question, though: I thought for an OALD/oversupply issue the diapers are frothy, not mucousy? Or can mucous happen with that?
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.