Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mucus/Foul Odor in Diapers

Default Re: Mucus/Foul Odor in Diapers

Totally. I haven't stored for that very reason!!

Don't worry or feel about not storing- your baby is still so young! If you're not going back into the workforce, you don't need to have a big stash. If you are, you still probably don't need a huge stockpile. As long as you can stay a few days ahead of your baby's needs, you should be okay.

Just keep on keepin' on, mama! A lot of mamas here have nursed through allergy or intolerance issues, even when everyone around them was saying "quit!". You will not be alone here.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yep, right here. Took me 4 months to figure out the intolerance. People still think I'm crazy for altering my diet to nurse.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Oh and one more thing. In my experience doctors know little, if anything about breastfeeding and know even less about food allergies or intolerances. Their answer to everything is switch formula.

My experience has been the same...most doctors don't know but the BARE basics about BF. So frustrating! It's hard enough to nurse when you don't have much experienced people around to advise you, but when your medical professionals can't help, it's gets really tough. Thank goodness for great sources like this site! Also, I am a SAHM now, so I will not have to worry about stashing too much of my milk. My biggest issue is having some in reserve for emergencies. After my first, I had a major bout with a large kidney stone when she was 5.5 weeks! I ended up in the emergency room for several hours. I don't believe that will happen again, but I want a healthy back up just in a case something like that ever happens again! My firstborn ended up taking formula (which I wasn't happy about, but really had no choice considering the situation.)

Quite understandable after a scare like that. Work on getting the intolerance taken care of and then work on your stash.

And stick around here. You won't find a shortage of educated mamas!

Hi,
    My DD had similar symptoms. She turned out to be allergic to cow's milk protein. I had to cut out ALL dairy until I was done breastfeeding which was at 2.3years. It's tough but can be done. We had her tested at the allergist office, she also tested posuitive for an egg allergy. Once you eliminate dairy completly, it takes atleast 3 weeks to see major improvements.
    My DS also had blood streaked stools. Although he doesn't have an allergy, he was diagnosed with milk protein intolerance so I am off dairy again
    Good luck

Most definitely! We are still having issues with this. Going to see an LC this week or next...I am STILL having OALD/OS like crazy! I can't seem to get the "ladies" under control and daughter is 12 weeks old! And now she has developed silent reflux. So not sure if reflux is due to possible allergy, or if reflux is causing extra saliva, etc. making the diapers mucousy (in addition to OALD/OS). Different doc thinks reflux is the culprit but I am not overly convinced at this point!

If you still have an oversupply and OALD that would certainly cause mucous in the poop and lots of gas and spit up. Have you been block feeding? My son just turned a year and he still only nurses from one side at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    If you still have an oversupply and OALD that would certainly cause mucous in the poop and lots of gas and spit up. Have you been block feeding? My son just turned a year and he still only nurses from one side at a time.
    I have been trying to...not sure I am doing it correctly however. DD throws a huge fit if I only allow one side at a time...especially, lately. She is going through a growth spurt which is complicating things. Her reflux is also causing her to want to constantly nurse, which if you've ever dealt with reflux, can cause overfeeding issues and make them feel worse. And this is increasing my supply rapidly! Not sure if this is the best solution, but what I am trying to do is nurse one side only. If she cries, I nurse her on the same side again. And again. And again. Until at least two hours have passed. However, she acts like she is starving...crying, smacking her lips, rooting, etc. So then I give in and nurse her on the other fuller side. I think I am making it worse by doing it this way. Also, her latch just suddenly changed and she's latching on both sides incorrectly which is not helping matters. That's why I need to see a LC...need some hands on help and have someone actually watch what I am doing! Plus, give me an idea on how to get everything under control. My original OALD was on the right side...now it's both sides! And to top it off, DD is sleeping through the night (maybe feeding once) so I am engorged in the morning. So I have a lot of craziness going on!