Re: ftm...sleeping baby wont wake to eat
Very normal, as long as she isn't badly jaundiced and is having sufficient wet and poopy diaper output: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html. If you are uncertain about your baby's urine output, I suggest tucking a bit of tissue paper in front of her vulva. When she pees, the paper will be visibly wet. This can help you count those tiny newborn pees in a super-absorbent disposable diaper.
Try to wake her every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. Definitely don't let her go more than 4 hours without eating. Some tricks to get her to wake up:
- Use a cool damp wshrag against the grain of her hair and the soles of her feet. The cool feeling may wake her.
- Dress her lightly or strip her down to a diaper when it is feeding time. A cool baby is often more alert.
- Keep the lights dim when it is time to nurse. Newborns may close their eyes in response to bright light.
- Use breast compressions to speed milk to her when she seems to be falling asleep.
- Try switch nursing. If she falls asleep quickly at the breast, take her off the breast, change her diaper, and switch her to the second breast.
Basically, you want to annoy the baby enough that she wakes up! I know it can seem a bit mean, but if you have an unusually sleepy baby it may be necessary. Let us know how it goes.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"