Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ftm...sleeping baby wont wake to eat :/

Default ftm...sleeping baby wont wake to eat :/

soo...my newborn is sleeping pretty heavily and wont really wake up enough for me to breastfeed her...

is she sleeping too much? should i start worrying...? or is this normal because shes only 4 days old and this is typical newborn behavior?

help! thx!!

Default Re: ftm...sleeping baby wont wake to eat

Absolutly newborn behavior. What i did was do the side laying position with two towels under us so mine could just root and find the milk. they can smell it across the room. So mine sleeps and eats at the same time and we are all happy and rested.

Very normal, as long as she isn't badly jaundiced and is having sufficient wet and poopy diaper output: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html. If you are uncertain about your baby's urine output, I suggest tucking a bit of tissue paper in front of her vulva. When she pees, the paper will be visibly wet. This can help you count those tiny newborn pees in a super-absorbent disposable diaper.

Try to wake her every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. Definitely don't let her go more than 4 hours without eating. Some tricks to get her to wake up:
    - Use a cool damp wshrag against the grain of her hair and the soles of her feet. The cool feeling may wake her.
    - Dress her lightly or strip her down to a diaper when it is feeding time. A cool baby is often more alert.
    - Keep the lights dim when it is time to nurse. Newborns may close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Use breast compressions to speed milk to her when she seems to be falling asleep.
    - Try switch nursing. If she falls asleep quickly at the breast, take her off the breast, change her diaper, and switch her to the second breast.
    Basically, you want to annoy the baby enough that she wakes up! I know it can seem a bit mean, but if you have an unusually sleepy baby it may be necessary. Let us know how it goes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Very normal, as long as she isn't badly jaundiced and is having sufficient wet and poopy diaper output: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html. If you are uncertain about your baby's urine output, I suggest tucking a bit of tissue paper in front of her vulva. When she pees, the paper will be visibly wet. This can help you count those tiny newborn pees in a super-absorbent disposable diaper.

Try to wake her every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night. Definitely don't let her go more than 4 hours without eating. Some tricks to get her to wake up:
    - Use a cool damp wshrag against the grain of her hair and the soles of her feet. The cool feeling may wake her.
    - Dress her lightly or strip her down to a diaper when it is feeding time. A cool baby is often more alert.
    - Keep the lights dim when it is time to nurse. Newborns may close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Use breast compressions to speed milk to her when she seems to be falling asleep.
    - Try switch nursing. If she falls asleep quickly at the breast, take her off the breast, change her diaper, and switch her to the second breast.
    Basically, you want to annoy the baby enough that she wakes up! I know it can seem a bit mean, but if you have an unusually sleepy baby it may be necessary. Let us know how it goes.
    Well said!

as usual

I agree, it's completely normal for a newborn to sleep a lot. Watch for the signs mommal listed above and use some of the tricks to wake her. Try not to stress too much.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kcb0811 View Post
    Absolutly newborn behavior. What i did was do the side laying position with two towels under us so mine could just root and find the milk. they can smell it across the room. So mine sleeps and eats at the same time and we are all happy and rested.
    This is what I do, and boy, it sure helps! I sleep through it too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!