Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 week old refusing the boob

Default 4 week old refusing the boob

My 4 week old all of a sudden is refusing both boobs. I have also been pumping and needed to heat up a bottle for her today which she took. She also gets one bottle of formula a day due to jaundice when she was born. Ay clue on why this is happening? Any advice on what to do. As a first time I am upset and frustrated by this.

Default Re: 4 week old refusing the boob

Could she have nipple confusion? Babies have to work to get milk at the breast, whereas they don't have to work at all to get milk from a bottle. What would happen if you just waited it out a bit and didn't offer a bottle? If she's absolutely refusing the breast and you're worried she needs some milk, you could give it to her in a dropper or cup, rather than from a bottle.

Another thing to look out for would be an ear infection or cold - sometimes babies won't nurse when they are congested or their ears hurt.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PP. Babies find it very easy to eat from a bottle as compared to a breast, and this often leads them to begin to fuss at or reject the breast because they prefer the easy rewards of bottle-feeding. I would definitely take the PP's suggestion and try to soldier through the fussiness. If your baby is hungry enough, she will probably eventually decide that the breast isn't such a bad alternative, after all. If you can get her back to the breast- and this link may help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...o-breast.html- I suggest putting the bottles on the shelf for a while. Make sure your baby masters breastfeeding before trying to get her to eat from a bottle.

Is her jaundice gone? At 4 weeks, it should be either gone or very minor. So at this point, there should be no reason to use formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. If the jaundice is gone BM should be fine. My first son had jaundice pretty bad and had formula in the beginning but then after two weeks I stopped the formula all together and only gave breast milk to him and he was fine. Interesting...
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

IMO if more than four hours has passed between feedings and baby refuses the breast do not tough it out. especially if your LO is lethargic due to the jaundice. You can cup feed expressed milk by encouraging your LO to stick out his tongue and lap up the milk. or if you are committed to bottle feeding him, give him just enough of a feed to quite his hunger and then offer the breast. if you offer to nurse him before he is distracted by hunger he might be willing to nurse, so don't let more than two hours pass between feedings.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

More agreeing here. Shelf the bottles and go completely for the breast. 4 weeks is still so young and things can easily be turned around. Both of mine were bottle fed initially - both for different reasons - and I was able to get both back to the breast with perseverance and this forum.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I wanted to add with my son and the formula once his jaundice cleared I gave him beeastmilk in a bottle because he was refusing the breast. I would NEVER wait it out for a baby and hope they take the breast! I would keep trying but if they wouldn't take it try giving some breast milk from a bottle to take the hunger away and then try again with the breast.
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Shelf the bottle. Use a different way to feed the baby than a bottle! Continuing to use a bottle for a baby who prefers it is a sure-fire way to end up EPing, and that is not ideal, and it never ever gets easier to EP than to BF!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!