Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7wk old very unsettled, please advise...

Default 7wk old very unsettled, please advise...

Hi, this is the first time I have posted, but I have been lurking for a while. Any advice would be welcome as I am on the verge of stopping BF and I really want to continue.

My DD is 7 weeks and the last few days I have found her really fussy and unsettled. I am worried I haven't got enough milk for her even though she has lots of wet nappies, and there are soiled ones at least twice a day, but still I am concerned. Each feed only ever takes about 20 minutes max, but I am worried this is not long enough for her to get the rich milk?

I have only ever fed on one side at each feed, is this wrong, should I be switching each time? She is never normally fussy after a feed and she usually comes off on her own and goes to sleep or falls asleep whilst feeding. I am worried that if I switch to feeding off both at each feed, I will not have enough for the next feed, if you know what I mean?

I am also worried she is not draining the breast fully, as she is appearing to get frustrated after about 10 minutes of feeding and in turn I am worried that this will mean my milk supply will gradually reduce and reduce.

In short, I am worried about the whole BF issue. I only managed to make it to 12 weeks with my DS and I really wanted to try and make 6 months this time minimum. So down about the whole thing, even my OH is trying to convince me to give her some formula, just so I stop whining about it all the time

Thanks for any advice in advance xx

Default Re: 7wk old very unsettled, please advis

Your baby may be having a growth spurt.
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

It sounds like 20 minutes is plenty of time to get the rich hindmilk, babies are very efficient at getting milk, and this time will probably decrease as she gets older and more efficient. And your body will make more if your baby needs it. It is supply=demand. So the more your baby nurses the more your body will make. So don't be afraid of giving her both breasts at each feeding, if she needs it. This is prime time for a growth spurt as well. So that may be why she seems unsettled. Just put her to the breast as much as she wants, your body will know what to do. Bfing is amazing. Trust your body. You're doing great and you will get tons of great advice and support on this forum. Welcome to LLL!

If one breast at a time is working for you, then you can keep doing that. But if you nurse on one side and then she still seems hungry, give her the other side. You don't have a limited supply of milk for next time - in fact, nursing more means you MAKE MORE MILK! It's awesome!

It really sounds like you are doing GREAT, your baby is thriving, and at this point, your only "problem" is self-doubt. Breastfeeding is a confidence game. If you just kick back and nurse on demand, you're likely to make enough milk. If you question yourself and give formula, your supply will decrease. It's hard, but if you're seeing the right diaper output, everything is fine. Truly.

It's very common for babies to be fussy at the breast at this age, and it's a prime time for a growth spurt. It sounds very normal, and you're doing a great job. Keep it up! You'll be so proud when you make your goal of BF'ing for at least six months.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    If one breast at a time is working for you, then you can keep doing that. But if you nurse on one side and then she still seems hungry, give her the other side. You don't have a limited supply of milk for next time - in fact, nursing more means you MAKE MORE MILK! It's awesome!

It really sounds like you are doing GREAT, your baby is thriving, and at this point, your only "problem" is self-doubt. Breastfeeding is a confidence game. If you just kick back and nurse on demand, you're likely to make enough milk. If you question yourself and give formula, your supply will decrease. It's hard, but if you're seeing the right diaper output, everything is fine. Truly.

It's very common for babies to be fussy at the breast at this age, and it's a prime time for a growth spurt. It sounds very normal, and you're doing a great job. Keep it up! You'll be so proud when you make your goal of BF'ing for at least six months.
    Sounds like everything is going well, actually.

If she is truly frustrated at 10 minutes...switch sides. Then start the next feeding on the one you ended with, and switch back, and you'll build your supply up even more. But it just might be that she gets annoyed when the milk flow is slowing down. You could try some breast compressions and see if that helps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Good advice from the PPs. It sounds like your main problem is confidence.

Are you only offering one breast per feeding, or are you offering both but the baby is only taking one? If the former, I suggest offering both sides. Some moms who start out nursing on just one breast per feeding eventually transition to nursing on both sides as their supply adjusts and their baby's needs change. Don't worry about "stealing" milk from your baby's next feeding session by using both sides. Your breasts will quickly respond to the additional stimulation by making more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you all for your replies, it is now going much better. I think she was having a growth spurt as she has settled a bit now. I took her into the health visitor to be weighed to see if she was gaining weight ok and she was, and I have started offering the 2nd breast when she starts fussing which is helping. Nappies have also been much wetter in the morning which was the sign I was hoping for. I am so pleased I have managed to get through the last few weeks, which have been difficult, without resorting to formula, very proud of myself
    Thank you for being supportive xx