Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nighttime pumping

Default Nighttime pumping

My 5 1/2 month old just started sleeping through the night. But I am having to pump once, then can't get back to sleep. Will the need to pump at night diminish - or do I need to pump to keep my supply up? And does anyone have any recommendations for learning how to sleep again?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Nighttime pumping

Quote Originally Posted by gghighlife View Post
    My 5 1/2 month old just started sleeping through the night. But I am having to pump once, then can't get back to sleep. Will the need to pump at night diminish - or do I need to pump to keep my supply up? And does anyone have any recommendations for learning how to sleep again?
    Thanks!
    You supply will adjust to your LO sleeping throughout the night, it might take awhile. For you learning how to sleep again? It will also take awhile, not waking up every 2-3 hours. What I end up doing, is sleeping through the night and my DD nurses on one side in the morning and I pump the other side out due to there is just too much for her, plus it makes for a nice freezer supply.

Default Re: Nighttime pumping

hi there and welcome to the forum!

marcie is right...your body will adjust if you don't pump at night. you may feel a bit uncomfortable/engorged for the first couple of nights, but your body will adjust. as for sleeping...hopefully, since you don't have to get up at night to pump anymore, you will be able to sleep through the night (since it seems that you're not able to get back to sleep after pumping). my dd is 5 1/2 months old, too...and she still gets up once (maybe twice) a night to nurse...but when she's sleeping, so am i!

good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches