Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hospital pump vs regular pump

Default hospital pump vs regular pump

I've been told I should try using a hospital grade pump rather than my Madela (the double electric one in the tote). I called the hospital to check on it and the receptionist said that there really wasn't a big difference, the hospital grade just had a larger motor....

so what's the deal? Is it really worth all that money (again) to rent one?

Default Re: hospital pump vs regular pump

No offense, but why would you take a receptionist's word for it?

I've used both, and there is a huge difference. I don't know the physics or mechanics of it, but it's true. It's faster, gets more milk out, and you can't even feel it. I swear I've looked down just to make sure milk is coming out Not that my regular pump hurts or anything, but it's kind of pinchy, you know? With the Symphony (which I'm able to use occasionally at work), I can barely feel it at all.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: hospital pump vs regular pump

HUGE difference.

The receptionist is WRONG. Call any IBCLC and she will tell you to get a hospital grade pump if you are EPing.

I get at each session with a Symphony about an ounce or more than I do with any professional grade pump. If I'm pumping 6 times a day, that's 1.5 feedings! To me, that's worth the expense.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!