Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! 7 week old refusing to nurse???

Default HELP! 7 week old refusing to nurse???

We have been having to run my oldest to camp and such this week, but I have made stops along the way to feed the baby. Today she has only nursed 5 times since 5:30 am, and they don't seem like full nursing sessions. She has recently started looking around and grabbing onto my shirt while nursing and so I figured she was just being distracted, but then she would look around after about 5 minutes or so and her jaw would go loose and she'd lose hold of the boob. When I relatch her it seems like she's just giving a courtesy latch. She'll suck a few times and the same thing will happen. I'd put her down, she'd get upset, I'd offer the breast and she'd act completely uninterested. It doesn't feel like she is emptying the breast so I don't think she is full.Then this evening when I offered she SCREAMED. I'd get her calm and all of a sudden just putting her in a nursing position would set her off. I tried different positions, walking, stripping her (its hot), rinsing my nipples (thought maybe the heat made them sweaty)...white noise (usually calms her down enough to nurse)
    I swaddled her and laid with her in bed. She nursed for about 10 minutes and dozed off, woke up as soon as she lost her latch, rooted, but refused the breast (??!). Then she cried. And cried. And cried. I finally got her calm and she fell asleep. I'm worried shes not getting enough, especially with the heat. Diaper output is good today, but she hasn't pooped yet, which is abnormal for her.

She refuses bottles and pacifiers, so I know that isn't the issue. She recently found her hand, and will often become upset if I move it from her mouth to feed her. She had an unusually hard time at nap today. With all the running around she just couldn't get settled (we did come home for nap, but she didn't sleep)

Should I be worried? Is this just one of those things?

Default Re: HELP! 7 week old refusing to nurse??

My LO is 8.5 weeks old and I am having the same issues and am still looking for answers. If you figure it out let me know!
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

sounds normal!

it could be teething

in the heat sometimes babies do not want to nurse as much....i know i am not too hungry when its hot out!

does she seem gassy? maybe try this massage http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html it works great for my sons gas. it says its for colic but my son has no colic, just lots of gas (sometimes it gets the poop out too!)

ALSO sometimes babies just get good at nursin fast! maybe she has some good nursin skills!!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Well, she has pooped 3 times since I posted, so I guess that end is doing well. She is still not wanting to nurse as often as I feel she should, and is pretty fussy/doesn't seem to be able to hold her latch sometimes. She will suck a few times and just let it fall out of her mouth. As of this morning it seems that BFing did not ward off AF. Could it be affecting my supply enough to discourage her from trying?

I bet it's AF. Even if it doesn't affect my supply enough to the point where he's not having enough wet diapers or seems especially hungry, it makes him fussy. It does decrease my supply a little and makes let down take longer. All that to say, having your period can cause subtle changes that the baby picks up on. It'll go back to normal in a day or two...