Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn with jaundice not pooping

Default Newborn with jaundice not pooping

My son is 8 days old and was born at 37 weeks. Despite him being tongue tied and us getting thrush right off the bat, we were nursing successfully for the first few days. He was gaining 1 oz a day and had the appropriate amount of wet and poopy diapers.

His bilirubin level went up on Thursday to 17.5 and we spent a night in the hospital
    doing phototherapy. They were very supportive of our breastfeeding relationship and we were sent home the next day when his level went down to 12.

Yesterday we had his bilirubin level tested again and it was at 14. He did not poop all day and my husband and I got concerned. After talking to our pediatrician last night, she recommended we go to the ER to have his level tested. It was up to 15.5, but they gave him a suppository while we were there, he pooped twice and they sent us home.

That brings us to today. He has not pooped since last night. He has had plenty of wet diapers, but no poopy diapers. He's been pretty lethargic all day and I'm afraid his bilirubin level has gone back up, since he's not pooping. He has nursed every 2-3 hrs all day, but he falls asleep on me. I let him stay attached and use breast compressions to try to get as much down him as possible. I usually feel 3-4 letdowns on each breast.

I'm sitting here worried tonight, wondering if I should run out and buy some formula to supplement. I don't know why he wouldn't be pooping, unless he's not getting enough. We go back to the doctor tomorrow morning to check his bilirubin level again, but I'm worried that he's not getting enough milk and needs something extra now. I just don't want to start supplementing if it's not necessary.

Should I hold off until we see the doctor tomorrow?

Default Re: Newborn with jaundice not pooping

I would probably run him in... But that's just me. Better safe than sorry. I don't think you would need to supplement if he is having plenty of wet diapers. I know how stressful this can be... Both my boys had jaundice and it is worrisome. Hang in there mama

When he does poop, are they seedy and mustard colored?

If he's having 6-8 wet dipes a day then I would say he's okay, and there's no need to supplement. I would wake him up to feed every two hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night (at the longest!) until be is at least 2 weeks and gets into a pattern where he wakes and nurses on demand. Both my kiddos were sleepy jaundiced babies, the second had to be under the lights in the hospy as well. Not all breastfed babies poop all the time. My first at least sharted in every diaper and my second pooped on Thursday's There's a wide range of normal there, so that alone wouldn't concern me. The sleepy baby is a problem though, its a natural thought to let a sleeping baby sleep, but with juandiced babies you definetly don't want to! Cool wet wash cloths, strippig him down to be tummy to tummy at every feed and having dad tickle and lightly squeeze his feet to keep him awake and tuned in all helped us get our nursing relationship started.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

From what I have read formula could constipate the baby and compound your problem. Hang in there!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I would definitely try to be nursing more often around the clock. Ita with the pp that you do not need to be going more than two hours.
    Breastmilk has a natural laxative property which will help your lo keep things moving.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

He just had a really big poop diaper, so I am thrilled! Looks like we're moving in the right direction without supplementation. Thanks for the advice!
    Stay at home mom to my 2 boys:
    R - born 4/20/08, nursed for 20 months
    G - born 8/6/11, EPd for 4 months, until he refused the bottle!
    Loving CDing this time around!

The things that make mopms happy...

when my daughter came home from the hospital 2 weeks ago she was jaundice, but bilirubin was in acceptable range The pediatrician told us to feed her hourly if I could and every other feeding do 1 oz of similac. She pooped within a day, color returned to normal. Obviously follow whatever your MD says, but hope that helps! when the poop started, TRUST me - it was flowing! Good luck

My LO had severe jaundice and ended up going back to the NICU at 5 days old for 13 days, and 2 different sessions of triple phototherapy. I was advised to supplement with EXPRESSED/FORTIFIED BM after feeds until her weight gain was established. I would suggest this, but NOT using bottles, and instead possibly use syringe, SNS feeder, or cup. Totally agree with all PP regarding feeding every 2 hours daytime and 3-4 night time.... we were told initially that we "shouldn't wake a sleepy baby" and that we just had a "good baby".... VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!