Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it me or baby?

Default Is it me or baby?

LO these past few days had cried non stop at the breast after a few minutes (typically 5) and will not go back on the breast. I haven't felt very full lately, very floppy actually. Could my LO be the one having the issues or is it me? (I should note that she hasn't slept much in the afternoons this weekend like she does at grandma's during the week). Is she just so tired or is there just not any milk for her? She also used to take 10-15 minutes on each breast to eat and now it's 5-6 minutes.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Is it me or baby?

hi there.

how old is she? do you feed her when she cues or when she is cranky already? does she fall asleep after 5 min? what about diaper output/weight?

do you work or is she home with you?

She is almost 8 wks old. I try to watch her cues but sometimes it seems to comes out of no where. Her diaper output seems to have decreased some and typically has one poopy diaper every other day. Sometimes she will fall asleep after like 5 or 6 minutes but most of the time she is crying and screaming. Not sure of the weight; she has her 2 mo. appt. next Thursday. I work full time so she stays with my mom during the day
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

Could it be reflux? Breast refusal always makes me think of this.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miniwo View Post
    She is almost 8 wks old. I try to watch her cues but sometimes it seems to comes out of no where. Her diaper output seems to have decreased some and typically has one poopy diaper every other day. Sometimes she will fall asleep after like 5 or 6 minutes but most of the time she is crying and screaming. Not sure of the weight; she has her 2 mo. appt. next Thursday. I work full time so she stays with my mom during the day
    did you recently start pumping a lot? is she gulping or choking? how many wet diapers? do you have a baby carrier? do you co sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*christybb View Post
    Hi, dear, I have same problem. My baby just 6 weeks old. In last two days, he also had cried non stop at the breast after a few minutes (about 4-5) and will not go back on the breast. I had to do a lot of thing to clam him down - like, holding him walk around, burping, swaddling. Eventually, he did back on the breast again. But the whole feeding for one side breast took about an hour. I had same situation - during the weekend, a lot of friends were visiting, baby hasn't slept too much. Is that a problem? or something wrong with my breast or the feeding position? Please help.
    there is a growth spurt around 6 weeks. i would switch back and forth between the breasts rather than just stay on one for an hour. maybe try laying down with your baby when he is tired, this may help him sleep better. or even just hold him while he sleeps. how many diapers is he having?

I have been pumping during the day at work, how would that affect her? She is on zantac for reflux. I don't think she is having as many wet diapers and has One stool about every other day. I do have a long wrap and no, I don't co sleep but she is in our room next to me in a pack & play
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

8 lb (even)

20.5"

i asked about the pumping just because when i started pumping daily i actually caused a bit of OALD, meaning the milk would come out very fast when my son would nurse. he would pull off and cough as a result.

i mentioned co sleeping only because it is a way to increase your supply and keep the baby nursing throughout the night. if you have her next to you in the pack and play that is fine.

wearing your baby can help calm them.

you say she has reflux? that can be associated with pulling off, being frustrated/cranky. i am personally not familiar with it but here is a link that may help: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

I had a similar issue where DS would come off the breast after 5 mins when he turned 3 months. I thought I didn't have enough milk. Turns out I had plenty of milk and he simply was eating faster when he got older. Since then he rarely stays more than five minutes per side. Also he went thru a period when he refused eating unless I lay down with him, that went on for about a month...made going out rather challenging
    Speaking of Zantac, perhaps the dose needs to be increased? Have you talked to the doctor about it? Keep an eye on the number of diapers per 24 hours. How is she eating during the day, takes a bottle of EBM?