Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine and Breastmilk

Default Wine and Breastmilk

I need some guidance.

I went to a party and my mom gave daughter expressed milk while I was gone.

I had 3 glasses of wine from 5pm and took my last sip at exactly at 7:30pm. Throughout this time I ate appetizers and dinner and drank water as well. I weigh 185lbs. I got home at 11:30 pm and my boobs were hurting so I pumped, daughter was asleep for the night already so I did not feed her. I pumped an all time record of 5ounces. So I didn't drink from 7:30 to 11:30.
    I took the milk screen test three times. The first time, i didn't read it after two minutes, more like 5 minutes and it showed alcohol. The next two tests that I did didnt show any alcohol at all at the two minutes mark, nor did it showe anything later on. I have no more tests. Should I use the milk to freeze for my stash. I need a stash b.c I am starting college classes soon.
    thanks
    Last edited by @llli*joyofcooking; August 14th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Default Re: Wine and Breastmilk

Did you feel like you had a drink when you pumped? Alcohol metabolizes in bm the same as it does in blood so if you were feeling fine, then most likely it was out of your system. If you felt at all like you had a little buzz I would personally not chance it and get rid of the milk. HTH

i agree with pp! i have never heard of a test to use but both times i have had some alcohol i went by how i felt. i never have more than 2 because for me number 3 makes me feel a warm face and i can tell i had a drink lol. as long as you dont feel even the first stage of tipsy you are good to go!

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

I'd keep it

If the directions say to read it at two minutes, and the only two tests you actually looked at after two minutes indicated that the milk was safe, then that's what I'd focus on (unless you felt inebriated when you pumped). If you're worried, then split that batch into two, freeze, and then make up the rest with different milk.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I think those test strips are a rip-off.

Like PPs said above, if you feel tipsy, you shouldn't nurse. If you need to pump, you should throw that milk away; alternatively, you could wait until you sobered up and then pump.

Also, once it's in there, it's in there (the EBM). you can't pump while drunk and then save your milk for later and have it be okay. The alcohol will still be there.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I think those test strips are a rip-off.

Like PPs said above, if you feel tipsy, you shouldn't nurse. If you need to pump, you should throw that milk away; alternatively, you could wait until you sobered up and then pump.
    -- Totally agree. From what you described. I'd keep it and feel really good about it!
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

I was fine to drive home a bit tired but not tipsy. I did the test for the he'll of it since I bought them two years ago and never used them. I was shocked the first test said something since I wasn't tipsy, but I don't know ifmthe alcohol stayed in the breast milk even though I was fine. I thought it was made during my wine drinking so maybe it still had wine in it.
    born 8lbs 12oz 21 inches
    Left hospital after c/s 8lbs 6 oz
    1 week old- 8lbs 6 oz
    2 weeks old- 8lbs 11 oz
    1 month- 9lbs 11 oz
    2 months 8/2/11- 12lbs 5 oz
    3 months- 14lbs even
    4 months-16lbs even
    6 months- 18lbs 6oz
    8 months-21lbs on home scale
    9 months-22lbs and 13 ouz
    11 months- ?
    12th months June 2
    Can't believe I have made it 11 1/2 months of nursing!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joyofcooking View Post
    I thought it was made during my wine drinking so maybe it still had wine in it.
    As others said, it leaves the breastmilk at the same rate as your blood.... so I think it sounds fine since you drove home and you weren't tipsy. If I were you, I would keep it!

I'm really nervous about drinking too though - especially since my tolerance is so low now!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

If the milk screen tests said you were OK, you should be fine. I wouldn't stress to much if you only had 2 glasses of wine, and especially if you drove home!

One idea a friend gave me is if you use milk from when you drank, mix it with pumped milk from a time you didn't drink. That way if there is a touch of alcohol it gets diluted out. Just a thought...
    I used those strips with first son as well. And they seem right on to me. If I was feeling tipsy they would be dark black.