Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lik is not freezing!!!!

Default My lik is not freezing!!!!

Hello! I have a 6 month old girl for whom i pump everyday at work. but lately some of my milk is just not freezing! Its not all of it... just some of the bags do not freeze. I store all of them in presterilazed bag that you can but at babysrus and keep them in a little "box" separated from the rest of the stuff in the freezer. I dont know if i could still use that milk or its not good.... Does anyone had that problem before???? What should i do???

Default Re: My lik is not freezing!!!!

Hahaha. Just saw that i put lik on the thread!

Do you think your freezer is cold enough? Is it slushy? How old is the milk?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Get a refrigerator/freezer thermometer to measure the temperature. How are other things in the freezer? Always try to keep the milk at the very back.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

are you freezing just extra or everyday?

and i think your freezer is just off mama

well i dont know because all of my stuff in the freezer is frozen and most of the milk do freeze, it just happens with a few bags sometimes. i keep the milk in the far back and sometimes i have like 3 bags that i pump that day, 2 will freeze and 1 wont.....

i wonder if its freezing then defrosting. are you putting it in the fridge first to cool?

I ask if you freeze always because i give my son unfrozen milk each day, from what i pump the day before. my freezer stash is for emergencies

Well, I'm 2 days ahead of what she drinks. for example, what i pump today(friday) she will have it on tuesday. what she will have monday is what i pumped yesterday. So i freeze it witn the date and at the daycare they will take the ones with the older date. I dont really put in the fridge to coll because i carry with me a cooler with some of those blue colling things that are frozen to keep the milk cold, because i leave the house around 7 and come back around 4, so when i put it in the freezer is already cold. i dont understand why it doenst freeze since everything else in the freezer is frozen and i keep it separate in the far back of the freezer! i dont know what to do, because i dont know if that milk is bad or not. it looks the same as the other though. a few days ago i asked to her teacher at daycare to give her some of that milk and see her reaction, nothing really happened....

hi. the only reason breastmilk wouldnt freeze is if the freezer isnt working properly or the milk is not in a good place in there. i had a freezer that seemed ok and i noticed my ice cream was always soft. turns out it was not maintaining cold and i was only noticing the ice cream, maybe it was the most sensitive item in there. maybe you are only seeing the effects of a freezer that fluctuates and is not staying cold when you look at your milk. i think you need a new freezer or a better place in the back.

i recommend giving unfrozen milk if possible, freezing destroys some beneficial qualities. i give frozen milk but most is fresh. if you are a day ahead, store the extra as frozen, giving the baby what you pumped the day before unfrozen. good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; August 20th, 2011 at 06:48 AM.

That might work better, to give the milk without freezing it. But the milk that i have frozen already, how long will that last on the freezer???????