Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing hurts again?

Default Nursing hurts again?

I thought baby and I were doing fine with nursing, and discomfort was on it's way out. Now it's starting to hurt again at 2.5 weeks and I'm getting really discouraged. I'm thinking it's his latch, as I feel a lot of pinching when he nurses, but from the outside the latch looks good. Does anyone have any advice or techniques I could try? I was thinking of getting a lactaction consultant but they're so expensive!
    Help

Default Re: Nursing hurts again?

When he unlatched, what does your nipple look like? Top of a new lipstick? White? Bright red?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with Jenna. Those are good questions.

When you have a latch issue, nothing beats hands-on help. If you think a LC is expensive, weigh that expense against the cost of a year's supply of formula ($1500-$2000, depending on where you live, what you use, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It doesn't look discolored at all, but is a little pointy when he comes off. Not quite lipstick, but not completely round either. I also get shooting pains through my breasts after feedings and they are kind of hot to the touch.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adb821 View Post
    shooting pains through my breasts after feedings and they are kind of hot to the touch.
    Having been through these sensations not all that long ago... and sort of am still getting over the hump... It sounds like you may be developing some thrush, possibly in the milk ducts. Are your nipples a little more red and shiny if you let them air dry before packing them away?
    First time mommy to Brayden Andrew.
    Born 6.12.11, 8lbs 2oz, 21 1/4 inches
    Still trying to get a grasp on this whole breastfeeding thing... It's not as easy as I thought it would be but am sticking with it!!
    DS sleeps longer and better this way! with Balboa Baby & Ergo and cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adb821 View Post
    It doesn't look discolored at all, but is a little pointy when he comes off. Not quite lipstick, but not completely round either. I also get shooting pains through my breasts after feedings and they are kind of hot to the touch.
    Here's a reference that may help rule some things out...http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mily View Post
    Having been through these sensations not all that long ago... and sort of am still getting over the hump... It sounds like you may be developing some thrush, possibly in the milk ducts. Are your nipples a little more red and shiny if you let them air dry before packing them away?
    Sounds like thrush to me as well. I had it when DD was about the same age. No fun!