Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help

Default please help

I have a 5 week old baby girl, I have started breastfeeding her from the day she was born, the sisters were giving LO formula as a top up. Since then I wasn't sure if I was producing enough milk, so I began taking a supplement. I drank about 2 litres of water and other liquids during the day, rest and ate. Baby was been taking my breast and drinking formula. Now her Feeds are both breast and formula. I know the benefits of breastmilk and want LO to only have it. Formula intake is at 100ml about 2 or 3oz. How can I get her to stop formula intakes, do I just leave it and feed BM exclusively, she also shakes her head from left to right looking for more food. Please help me, I don't know what to do as I'm a first time mom.

Default Re: please help

If you're both breastfeeding and bottlefeeding with no confusion on your LO's part, then moving to just breastfeeding shouldn't be an issue. Be prepared to nurse her more often (at 5 weeks, you're looking at a growth spurt so there will definitely be an increase in nursing), if she's looking for more food, offer the other breast.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I agree. You are going to have to spend a couple of days nursing around the clock but your body will catch up.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

and congrats on your baby!

Your body is still in the set up stage for your milk supply. If you stop the supplements and just keep your baby at your breast, this will tell your body to make more milk. In a couple of days your body will be making enough milk with no problems!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Oh and just so you know, there is no way to nurse your baby too much. Your baby can not spend too much time breastfeeding. The more the better!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma

with the previous posts. You can definitely get rid of the formula if you are willing to do the necessary work. How much formula are you using in a 24 hour period? If it is 2-3 oz after every feeding rather than over the course of an entire day, you may need to gradually taper off the amount you are using rather than simply forgoing it altogether. This link covers how to wean from formula supplements: http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/86/8639cover.html

Also, how is nursing going aside from the supplementation? Is your baby's latch comfortable? Does she feed eagerly? Do you hear plenty of swallowing when she is at the breast?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the replies its comforting to know your positive feedback. LO latches easily, I don't have any discomfort. Baby also happy on the breast although she sleeps inbetween and I wake to keep feeding. I hear her swallowing but not sure sometimes. I sometimes let her feed on the breast for about an hour and half and then just give formula so she's satisfied and doesn't cry for more food. I have been giving her 2-3oz at every feed just so LO is full. If there is anything else that will help me pls advise me, cos I'm a bit nervous.

It is nerve racking but you have to trust your body to do the right thing. You are doing a wonderful job. Ditch the formula. You don't need it. I will say though, that a baby that spends an hour on the breast probably isn't eating that long but is comfort nursing. Meaning they aren't stimulating for milk production.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

In my experience if you are looking for a problem you will find one. If you can trust your body to provide for your baby you will be in a better place. (You'll probably need to ditch the formula slowly, most bf babies only take 1-2oz per feeding and thats more then how much you said you were supplementing.)

You are using quite a bit of formula, so you probably do not want to get rid of it all at once. Every time you supplement with formula, your baby will feed less at the breast and this can result in lowered milk supply. So you need to ease off the formula at the same time you ramp up your milk supply. Do you have a good breastpump? If you can pump every time you decide you must supplement, you will do 3 things:
    1. You will increase your supply (the more milk you remove from the breast, the more you will make).
    2. You will be able to supplement with pumped milk rather than formula.
    3. You will enable your baby to get more milk from the breast more easily, since the more milk there is the easier it comes out. If your baby can get lots of milk without having to work too hard, she may be less likely to demand a top-up from the bottle.

As you wean from formula, it is important to watch your baby's diaper carefully. As long as diaper output remains normal, you can be confident that your baby's milk intake is normal, too, even if she acts fussy after feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"