Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Several Different Questions

Default Several Different Questions

Hi I have a baby boy who just turned 5 months old on the 8th. We have been exclusively breastfeeding since birth with only a few minor issues in the very beginning.

Lately I have been having some burning pain in my left breast. Saying "in" the breast is not accurate but I am not sure how else to describe it. I have a deep tender spot that feels like a plugged duct in the area where my breast meets my armpit. Above that area, closer to my armpit than my breast, the skin burns when it is touched. It is very sensitive and my bra or shirt or fingers brushing against it causes a searing pain. It isn't a deep pain, it feels like a surface pain. The skin in the area looks normal and is unbroken. It isn't directly over the tender/plugged duct area but a few inches away, farther from my breast.

Also, my baby has had an odd butt rash for about a week. It started out looking like two tiny patches of purplish red blisters and progressed to a not-as-red but very scaly/peely type of rash. The rash causes him no pain at all and almost looks like red cradle cap in his butt crack. It flakes off if I scratch my nail over it. I took him to the pediatrician on Friday and he said he thought it was a yeast rash and prescribed a cream for it. I asked if the breast pain could be related but he blew me off and asked if I was reading to the baby on a regular basis. I took that to mean he had no idea, haha.

Does the burning/boob pain sound like thrush? The baby has no spots in his mouth and I have been careful to sterilize all pacifiers. He doesn't take a bottle since I stay home with him so that isn't an issue.

Sorry for the long post and thanks so much to everyone in advance! I haven't posted much but these forums have been a great source of information since I was pregnant with my baby!

Default Re: Several Different Questions

Does this sound like thrush?

YES.

Baby has a yeast diaper rash, you have burning pain- that's very thrush-y. But LLLKaren just posted a really interesting article about thrush overdiagnosis- it suggested that a lot of times what seems like yeast is actually bacterial. So that's a possibility as well.

Well, I went to the doctor today to inquire about the burning/soreness I have been having in my left breast/armpit area. This morning I also woke with a sore right nipple that burns when the baby latches on. He still has the butt rash, which I have been putting minconazole cream on with every diaper change.

I am not sure how I feel about the doctor's advice. She prescribed nystatin cream which she said to put on "affected areas" and cephalexin which she said was "to prevent the thrush from turning into mastitis". When I asked if the antibiotic would make the yeast worse she said "well.. it could... just watch to be sure the baby doesn't get sores in his mouth."

This just makes no sense to me Should I just use the cream and skip the antibiotic? Should I use the nystatin on both the baby and I or continue to use the miconazole on him and the nystatin on me?

She also said to wash the nystatin cream off each time before he nurses.. He is still nursing every 2 hours.. that is a lot of boob washing. Is that really necessary?

Thanks for anyone's help. I feel worse now then I did before I went to the doctor
    Last edited by @llli*cherron; August 15th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.

Those are really good questions, and I wish I knew how to answer them. If this thread doesn't pick up any additional replies, I suggest searching the forums for threads on thrush and posting a new thread titled "Thrush Questions" or something so that it stands out to mamas in the know. I think sometimes people see a thread titled "several different questions" and Skip it because they assume that they can't possibly figure out a lot of different issues, YK?

My guess is that your doctor isn't sure whether it's bacterial or thrush, so she's covering all her bases.

I don't entirely disagree with this approach. It's the basis of Jack Newman's protocol - his APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) contains ingredients that fight BOTH bacterial and thrush infections.

But I personally loathe oral antibiotics and try to avoid them whenever I can. I am prone to vaginal yeast infections and always seem to get them when I take antibiotics (another reason to suspect thrush with me, rather than a bacterial infection!). So, I'm no doctor - take this as such - but I would probably skip those and try other treatments (see link above) first. I'm a big fan of using probiotics as the beneficial bacteria compete with yeast and bad bacteria for food - you can't overdose on them, they are harmless, and they can help! When I had thrush, I put probiotic powder directly in my baby's mouth several times a day, dusted my nipples with it, and took it orally. It can't hurt, and it might help. If other treatments don't work, you can always try the antibiotics.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

P.S. I totally agree with Mommal about using "descriptive" headings. You will be more likely to have women experienced with your particular issue chime in if you use some of those key words (thrush, bacterial infection, antibiotics) in your heading. Feel free to open a new thread to ask your questions. We all have our "areas of expertise" 'round here.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

You've gotten good advice from PP's. I just wanted to add that years ago my LC told me that it was fine to nurse without doing breast washing. She said that the nystatin should all have been absorbed soon after application.

I'm not a doctor either, but I personally get thrush or a vaginal yeast infection if I have to be on oral antibiotics. I'd be inclined to avoid them and see if Nystatin or Dr. Newman's thrush protocol helps. If you develop a fever, that's when I'd start to think mastitis.

Hope you feel better soon.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)