Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Issues?

Question Supply Issues?

hello everyone!

My DD is 4 wks 3 days. She was 8lbs 2oz at birth. We have been EBF since day 1. She got down to 7lbs 8oz at her lowest point. She was 7 13 2 weeks ago, and then this past Friday I took her and she was STILL 7lbs 13oz. So at 4 weeks,. shes still not to her birth weight!
    We nurse ATLEAST every 2-3 hours, a little longer at night. She has plenty of wet diapers a day and probably about 10 dirty ones a day!
    When we nurse, I hear her swallowing for the first few minutes, and then she slows down, and sometimes falls asleep.
    She crys alot when Im not holding her or nursing her. But she sleeps great at night.
    I started taking fenugreek last night to see if it will help (2capsules) and Ill take it 3x a day.
    I tried pumping after a feeding on friday to see if I got anything, and it was only a few drops, so Im pretty sure she's emptying the breast when she's eating.
    I feel like I might be starving her or something - I really just want her to grow!
    THank you!

Default Re: Supply Issues?

I went through the exact thing! My doctor talked me into supplementing with pumped breastmilk and she started gaining, but she also started refusing the breast so I'm forced to EP now If your baby is happy and eating and having enough wet diapers I'd try to stick with what you're doing for a couple of more weeks. Maybe try giving her the breast more often? Like Every 1-2 hours during the day? If she doesn't act interested at first you can pump a minute to get a let down. Once it's flowing she'll drink it up

Sounds like she falls asleep and doesn't quite get there. I would keep switching and switching sides, over and over, to make her get more, and breast compressions to keep the flow going might help keep her awake too. And then starting the feeding on the same side you finished with the last time helps them get more hindmilk, which is higher in calories and fat.

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/h...epy_baby.shtml
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...-concerns.html good general resource

You can do this! Don't go to supplements and bottles yet! Those are a slippery, slippery slope!

Crying to be held is normal. Try a sling; that frees your hands up and keeps baby close, and you can nurse in the sling too!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

thank you so much ladies!!

How is it going?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!