Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply after return to work!

Default Low Supply after return to work!

Hi,
    I have noticed a drop in my supply since I returned to work about 2 weeks ago. My breasts don't feel as full as they used to at DD'S feedings in the morning and the evening and she now fusses and seems to want more milk after finishing both sides. DD is 11 months and I would like to continue to breastfeed into the toddler years, but I'm worried about my supply dwindling till it disappears. Is this possible with an 9 hour gap between feeds and with her sleeping through the night? Is there anything really effective to prevent the reduction of my supply? I already take fenugreek, which seems to help, but probably not enough.
    DD has had slow weight gain for months as well, so this is also of concern.
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Baby wearing, cloth diapering, sometime co-sleeping mom of DS, born 06/16/08 and DD, born 08/30/10.[/FONT]

Default Re: Low Supply after return to work!

What does your nursing and pumping schedule look like?

Hi,
    I nurse her at about 6/6:30 a.m. and again at 5/5:30 p.m., and if she feels like it before bed around 7:00 p.m. So, it's an even bigger gap between feeds than I thought haha!
    On weekends we go back to our former nursing routine, which now serves as little snacks because there's not much to drink in the daytime.
    I am unable to pump at work for various reasons Though, I have been wondering, if I start to pump in the morning and at night after DD'S feeds and I get next to nothing, is it still effective for increasing supply?
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Baby wearing, cloth diapering, sometime co-sleeping mom of DS, born 06/16/08 and DD, born 08/30/10.[/FONT]

Is there no way you can pump on your lunch hour or a break? What kind of job do you have?

ETA: Any removal of milk and stimulation will help you increase supply, I don't know how much it will help though.