Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how/when to switch sides when feeding?!

Default how/when to switch sides when feeding?!

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all your support on previous posts. I currently am BF my 1 1/2 week old, we're doing MUCH better than when we got home, still some occasional latching issues but overall better! We feed great all day, every 2-3 hours, the issue is at night. She gets SO tired that we do one breast, but then she's in a total sleep and I cannot switch her to teh other side. I start with that side on the next feed, but is this ok? I've read all over here about making sure to do both....my other option is to wake her before she's done on the first side, but i want her to get the hindmilk as well and I've also read to let them finish ... help?!/

Default Re: how/when to switch sides when feedin

is your milk in?
    are you nursing 10-12 times over a 24 hour period?
    i used one side per feeding once my milk came in.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I would favor making sure she is completely finishing one side over partially drinking from both - as long as she is showing sign of sufficient milk intake (plenty of wets/dirties, good weight gain, content after nursing, etc). HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

one side per feeding is fine. you want to "drain" the first breast before you move to the next. if she is falling asleep that is normal. i tend to nurse very often in that case. just put her to the breast as much as possible.

Milk is in, and dirty/wet diapers are frequent!!!!!! Ok, now I don't feel so bad about doing just one at a time, it does increase the frequency and I feel a bit lopsided, but I'd rather not have to pry her off one to get to the next one. Thanks ladies!