Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIP after 12m?

Question NIP after 12m?

I have a very persuasive daughter. If she wants to nurse she will tell me in her own ways, by tapping my chest, yanking at my shirt or making her nursing noises. I nurse on demand so I usually don't mind these obvious signals. However it gets embaressing when we are up town.

Its summer and I have been living out of tank tops so when ever she yanks on my shirt my bra is shown off. Also it seems to make people uncomfortable when Eve smacks my chest to tell me she wants to nurse.

I nurse her anyways. Like yesterday I was standing and nursing her in the corner of a picture frame display, trying to be discrete.

So my questions are:
    1. What do your toddlers do to signal they want to nurse?
    2. How do you deal with it in public?
    3. How old would be too old in your opinion to nurse in public?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: NIP after 12m?

I think its just a personal decision. My son is almost 3 so its hard to remember but I think we pretty muched stopped about 2. However I did nurse him in a nail salon in June I had dragged him around all day and he was tired and I was at the point I didn't care. He nursed and went right to sleep. He stayed latched for a while but the nail stylist didn't seem to mind she seemed to think it was cute maybe toddler nursing is more acceptable in her country. I know my family gets uncomfortable because LO sticks his hand down my shirt at times not even asking to nurse it just helps comfort him. Sometimes its sad because he'll say he wants to go home and I know it's just because he wants to nurse. I just can't nurse him around my family because I get sick of all their comments. Oh and LO says Boobie if he wants to nurse kind of embarressing but I guess I am over it. I try to distract, offer another drink, or say we'll nurse when we get home. But I think just like in the nail salon if he really needs it I will nurse him.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

I taught Joe the sign for milk so that he wouldn't grab me so much (although he still did when he was desperate).

I often told him to wait a minute when we were in public, and distracted him if I could. If I couldn't, I couldn't. But I almost always tried. And eventually, he stopped asking in public so much. In his case, this was well past 18 months and coincided with him getting a taste for cow's milk (which he never really liked that much before). So it was easier to put him off with a sippy cup of milk.

Now we almost never nurse in public, but honestly I kind of miss it. I'm crazy like that, I guess.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Edward is 20 mths and we still nip on demand. Sometimes I check that it's not down to hunger for food or thirst for water by offering snack and drink. If he still wants it he gets it - I've found that to be more discreet than trying to distract.

I taught him to sign but also said mi-mil, so now he's talking all the time he asks for it verbally and I always make him say please!

How old it too old...I guess that's down to the individual. I personally wish everyone nursing toddlers could just nip in public comfortably as then it would be acceptable socially. I think a lot of the public seem to think it's a bit strange after 4 or 5 months, so I wouldn't go by that!

I don't know how long we will nip for...!
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

I NIP. Most of my shirts were ( and still are ) loose fitting tunics.
    that took care of the over exposure issue.
    i also miss it and I have not seen a nursing toddler in my part of the country for years now.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

My 15 month old grabs the neck of my shirt, pulls it open, and starts reaching around inside while making desperate "Uh uh uh!" noises. I'll stop NIP when she doesn't need to NIP anymore. With her sis, the last time was at age three, when she accidentally ate a spicy red pepper flake and was in pain because her mouth was burning. I figure most peole would rather be subjected to the sight of a nursing toddler than the sound of a screaming toddler!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I taught Joe the sign for milk so that he wouldn't grab me so much (although he still did when he was desperate).

I often told him to wait a minute when we were in public, and distracted him if I could. If I couldn't, I couldn't. But I almost always tried. And eventually, he stopped asking in public so much. In his case, this was well past 18 months and coincided with him getting a taste for cow's milk (which he never really liked that much before). So it was easier to put him off with a sippy cup of milk.

Now we almost never nurse in public, but honestly I kind of miss it. I'm crazy like that, I guess.
    Teaching him the sign for milk took a few days of persistence, hand over hand, and not giving it to him until he made the sign, but it paid off to have him do the sign in public instead of grabbing. I honestly thought it would take longer than it did. I try to put him off in public as much as I can, but usually in waiting rooms I cave.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Thank you very much ladies! I personally am of the opinion thast more moms need to NIP so others can learn. I was mostly wondering because other people seem to get more weird the older Eve gets. In the colder months I always have a poncho or something to cover but its been so hot lately. Its nice to know that others have been there, and also that they would like to see others in that posistion!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

DD did NIP for quite some time after she was 1, probably closer to 2, casue now she dosnet ask for it when we are out! I do love to see nursing toddlers when I am out and it makes me feel like I should nurse her in public just for the point of it!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

DS is over 2 and we still NIP if he asks. He doesn't ask much because he is a busy guy but I'd say one out of every 5 times we are out running around for more than two hours. He always wants to nurse if he is bored in a waiting room or something like that. Every Dr appointment, dentist appointment, etc he is usually nursing at some point. I won't restrict NIP no matter the age. I'm proud to let my boys self-wean and I don't care what people think. Not that I want to be rude but I just don't care. I got more looks and comments when my boys were infants that I do when they are toddlers. I guess people think if I'm confident enough to nurse him at that age the comments or looks aren't going to change my mind.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton