Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really Struggling

Default Really Struggling

My daughter is almost 5 weeks old. She did have jaundice really bad in the beginning. Her birth was a repeat c-section.

She was 6.6lbs at birth and dropped down to 5.8lbs. I have been seeing lactation consults each week. She only transfers a little over an oz during feedings. This amount has increased and she just started gaining weight last week. The LC and our Pedi are not happy with her transfers and suggested that I pump after each feeding and give her what I pump. So, I nurse her, feed her and then pump (what I pump goes to her at her next feeding). She eats around every 2-3 hours. Is not fussy and has always had plenty of wet & dirty diapers. Once she latches on, she falls asleep within about 5 minutes. I burp her, switch sides, bug her and really struggle to keep her awake. She is perfectly healthy, but did not start gaining weight until I started pumping and feeding her what I pump. She is more than willing to wake up for the bottle and eats everything I pump (sometimes up to 2oz).

I am just really struggling with BFing her. It takes me almost an hour to nurse and then feed her. I was feeding her with a syringe, but that was too messy and took too long. So, with the recommendation of the LC, introduced her to a bottle. She got nipple confusion and I took it away. Waited a week and introduced it again.

I am on fenugreek, blessed thistle and reglan to up my milk supply. Our Pedi and LC hope that with an over supply, she will be more likely to eat/nurse. My hope is to get her to feeding completley from the breast and stop with the pumping and bottle.

Any suggestions, words of hope/wisdom?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Really Struggling

How are you determining her intake at the breast? Are you doing weigh-feed-weigh records, and if so, are you doing multiple records per day or just relying on records done at the LC's office or pediatrician's office?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

have you thougth about using another mythod to feed the suppliments? lots of info here
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    5 weeks is still pretty young yet. she's get the hang of breastfeeding if you give he a little bit more time
    how often would you say your nursing in 24 hours? Sometimes it doesn't hurt to offer more during the day up to 12 times in 24 hours. If there kind of laid back...

I agree wtih the PP about other ways of feeding the supplements. I had the same problem and uses a SNS at the breast which helps with increasing your supply because of the extra breast stimulation. This will also help with her learning how to breastfeed. Here is a link for a SNS or lactation aid http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25:la ctation-aid&catid=5&Itemid=17. I also took fenugreek and domperidone to increase my supply. My DD is 11 months now, nursing constantly, and healthy and happy. So don't worry and keep up the hard work, it will get easier!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

We are determining her intake by weighing her before and after her feeding at the LC office. We have been every week since birth and her intake has not improved. She just started gaining weight when I started pumping after nursing and giving her a bottle of BM. The SNS did not work, she was not sucking enough to get the BM because she keeps falling asleep at the breast. She is eating between 7-9 times a day. I try to wake her to feed her, but she is not interested when I wake her. She goes every 2.5 to 3 hours.