Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low spply after plugged ducts

Default low spply after plugged ducts

Last weekend I had really bad plugged ducts in my left breast & this week I couldn't pump more than an ounce at a time on that side. Luckily my right side produces plenty for my DS but I was hoping the left side will start to produce better again. Does anyone have any experience with this?????? Thanks for the help!
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

Default Re: low spply after plugged ducts

After a bad bout of plugs, it is normal to see a decrease in supply. The best way to increase supply is to nurse on demand, and if you feel like the affected breast is becoming troublesomely lopsided, try to offer that breast first. Babies tend to nurse most enthusiastically and drain the breast more thoroughly at the beginning of a feeding, and the better drained a breast is, the more milk it will produce.

Are you home with your baby, or are you working outside the home? If the latter, getting the affected breast to produce more will mean that you need to mimic the feeding pattern dscribed above using the pump. Pump the affected side longer and more frequently than usual, and you should see an increase in supply. However, don't expect it to be as fast as if you just nursed: pumps typically do not increase supply. Well as babies do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had the exact same experience and 2 weeks later my left breast has gone from 1/2 oz - 1 oz per pumping to about 2 - 2 1/2. I always start son nursing on left but can tell he drains it very quickly altho I am hearing much more swallowing than a week or so ago. Much like you my right breast has been working overtime to pick up the slack! So, long story short, my supply is (slowly) increasing on left, so yours should too! Good luck!

thanks laddies
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby