Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling deflated about weight gain

Default Re: Feeling deflated about weight gain

Have you ever done a weigh feed weigh test to see how much he removes when he nurses?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Have you ever done a weigh feed weigh test to see how much he removes when he nurses?
    No, I haven't. I've heard of it but am not that familiar with it. How is this done?

Pretty easy, hospital scale, weigh baby, then nurse, the weigh baby again. Do it a few times over a few days.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Makes sense! Can you rent a scale, or do you have to do it at a hospital?

You could rent a scale, or are there and LCs around you? Many have them at their clinic/office
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I'm not sure. I'll have to look that up. I actually don't even know where I'd rent a scale. This is all so new to me! I really appreciate all your help.

You've worked really hard and made a lot of progress with nursing and I can only imagine how discouraging it must be to not see that reflected in his weight gain. 2 oz in 2 weeks is not what we'd hope for, although overall his weight gain isn't drastically low... If his lowest weight was 5lbs 10oz and he's, what, 15 weeks? It averages out to a bit more than 5 oz a week, which isn't too bad. Babies' growth generally slows down around 3 months, and it could be you're just seeing that happening.

It's not so much if he's in a low percentile that's the worry, it's just if he's dropping percentiles and isn't growing at the expected rate, it's a good idea to take a closer look to see if there's a reason why. It may be that he just had a pause in his growth (probably nobody grows at a completely steady rate, right?) and will make it up later, or he might not be taking in enough milk for some reason, or he might be getting plenty of milk but isn't able to absorb the nutrients as well as he should (less likely).

Have you talked to a lactation consultant? I'd suggest looking in the directory on the International Lactation Consultant Association website to find a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC). An LC could help you with weighing your baby before and after feedings to see how much milk he's taking in, as well as generally evaluate how effectively he's nursing.

Is he still having trouble staying awake during feedings? You mentioned in the other thread you were trying switch nursing -- how is that going? How many times do you think he nurses in 24 hours?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks for the information. In the first few post partum weeks, my mom was here helping me, and she contacted a LC near her who was wonderfully helpful in giving advice and sending us links. I've never actually met with a LC consultant, though. The one woman we called nearer to me never returned our calls. I have looked at the site you gave. I think it might be time to call someone in to make sure I'm doing everything I can to help him out. He still struggles with staying awake sometimes. There are times when he eats for 3 minutes and falls asleep. The only way to wake him is to put him down. So I put him down, he immediately wakes up crying, I try to get him to eat, he falls asleep, I put him down...and the cycle continues for several "rounds." There are other times when he seems interested in eating but it seems like the milk isn't flowing enough. In the morning, when I'm slightly engorged, I can hear him gulping. That's the only time I hear a lot of quick swallowing, though. Maybe I don't have enough milk? I rented a double electric pump for the first two months of his life so I could get a good milk supply in the beginning. Could I not be producing enough milk now that he's pretty much been the only source of milk extraction for about a month and a half? I'd love to pump more (with the Medela Swing I have), but I never know when he'll be hungry, and I feel like he eats better when there's more milk in there, so I'm afraid to pump unless he's taking a bottle (of EBM) from my husband. Man, this is so much harder than I thought it would be!

As for how many times he nurses in 24 hours...it varies. I tend to try to feed him as soon as he shows ANY interest, since I don't know how long he'll stay interested or awake. There are days when he eats every hour. If I'm recalling yesterday correctly, he ate about 10 times (which included a 5 hour stretch of sleep at night). A few of those times, he ate for 20-25 minutes. Other times, he only ate for 5. Again, though, it doesn't seem like the milk often flows quickly for him. I guess this is normal...? He often seems to need to work hard for it, and I think that is when he's more inclined to sleep instead.

We're at 10 lbs, 10oz as well. Very helpful information! Glad to know we're not the only ones. She's gaining every week but not as much as she did in the beginning so maybe there is a small plateau right now. I was hoping by 4 months she'd be 11 pounds and I think she can do that. I'd love to be at a bigger weight though. She's alert, eats frequently, and just rolled over last week for the first time.