Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling deflated about weight gain

Unhappy Feeling deflated about weight gain

I posted the other day about my son's sleepy eating habits and was feeling pretty good for a few days because of the comments from several kind and supportive members...and then my son got weighed again. After weighing in at 10 lbs 11 oz at 3 months, I figured that by 3 month and 1 week, he was weighing about 11 lbs. However, today (at 3 months 2 weeks), he weighed 10 lbs 13 oz. That means he gained only 2 oz in 2 weeks!? I'm feeling deflated. People keep telling me to relax and that he's doing fine. But his increase of only 2 oz in 2 weeks now puts him in the 3rd percentile for weight. (He's been in the 5th since birth.) I started taking Fenugreek today to see if he'll eat more if more if easily available. We may start giving him a bottle (of EBM) a day to see if that helps him. I'm just...I don't know. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the whole thing. My son seems happy and healthy. He's active and seems to be meeting milestones. I'm just so worried that I'm screwing this (and him) up somehow. Does anyone know if there are disadvantages to being so small? Is it a problem if he's always in the 5th percentile (assuming he gains some weight and gets back up there)? Someone's got to be in the smallest percentages, right?!

Default Re: Feeling deflated about weight gain

My lo is always on the small side. However she is also talking and walking at 12m. I was told that as long as she's not losing weight it should be fine. Bf babies tend to have plateaus where they stay at about the same weight. I remember between 6-9m she gained half a pound. She's happy and healthy.
    You can try pumping to increase your supply. Also make sure you are drinking enough water. More water does not equal more milk, but not enough water can effect a supply.
    Also has your baby reached a milestone? That can slow down weight gain significantly.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Sorry this has been so hard for you. Is it possible your son is just a peanut? We have close friends who worry all the time with their son (never even made it onto the charts). They are both very small people, and he's always been healthy. Out of our friends, he was the first to walk, early to talk, super athletic, nothing wrong with him at all. The weight gain was always up, just sloow. They still worry, but I think their son is just genetically a little guy.

There is some variation when you get weighed too. As long as the general trend is gaining, I wouldn't worry too much about the percentiles. Is your ped worried?
    SAHM to threee (homebirthed) kiddos...
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

At 3 months, I'm not sure what milestones would affect weight. Thoughts? He loves to stand (with help, obviously!). He is very alert. He's not rolling over yet, though. I try to drink plenty, but I often don't feel too thirsty, so sometimes I forget. I'll have to keep on that.

It's entirely possible my son is just a peanut. As a larger woman, this is a strange concept for me, though! My husband said he was always the skinniest kid in the class, so I guess he takes after his father. Thank you for the information about your friends' kid. That makes me feel a little better. Our pediatrician didn't seem TOO worried. She did say I should keep an eye on it, and she was the one who suggested I give him a bottle of EBM once per day so he doesn't use as many calories for that feeding. I was impressed that she didn't mention formula. Then again, she's never mentioned formula, even when he lost 10% of his initial weight. The sad thing about our pediatrician is that she got married this summer (a good thing for her, I guess!), and she's moving to another state, so we get to try a different pediatrician that she recommended. Umm...yay? Anyway, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebug0411 View Post
    At 3 months, I'm not sure what milestones would affect weight. Thoughts? He loves to stand (with help, obviously!). He is very alert. He's not rolling over yet, though. I try to drink plenty, but I often don't feel too thirsty, so sometimes I forget. I'll have to keep on that.

It's entirely possible my son is just a peanut. As a larger woman, this is a strange concept for me, though! My husband said he was always the skinniest kid in the class, so I guess he takes after his father. Thank you for the information about your friends' kid. That makes me feel a little better. Our pediatrician didn't seem TOO worried. She did say I should keep an eye on it, and she was the one who suggested I give him a bottle of EBM once per day so he doesn't use as many calories for that feeding. I was impressed that she didn't mention formula. Then again, she's never mentioned formula, even when he lost 10% of his initial weight. The sad thing about our pediatrician is that she got married this summer (a good thing for her, I guess!), and she's moving to another state, so we get to try a different pediatrician that she recommended. Umm...yay? Anyway, thanks again!
    Isn't that terrible about your doctor? Mine decided to take time of from work so her and her husband could ttc. I was sooo upset at the time (I was 39w). But now she has a new baby girl and is back in town. We expect sooo much from our doctors, its too bad they're humans too eh?? (I'm really happy for my dr)
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebug0411 View Post
    At 3 months, I'm not sure what milestones would affect weight. Thoughts? He loves to stand (with help, obviously!). He is very alert. He's not rolling over yet, though.
    Sounds pretty normal to me. My younger is almost four months and is only beginning to try to roll over in earnest. Can't get past her big fluffy diaper butt.

I know it is hard not to worry, but if he is alert, happy and makes wet diapers, it does seem like things are ok, especially if your ped isn't worried. Hope the new one works out, it is hard to find good ones!
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*codepink View Post
    We expect sooo much from our doctors, its too bad they're humans too eh??
    So true! But an inhuman doctor probably wouldn't be ideal either.

Another question: Do babies ever poop lots and pee an inadequate amount? This seems like a stupid question, but he's been pooping up a storm recently, and it's been hard to figure out just how often he's wetting through all the poop!

I don't think so... unless of course he had diarrhea or something like that. You're right you probably can't tell with all the poop in there. Mine holds out for a few days and then has herself a little poop-fest. Always when we're out of the house, of course.
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

How wonderful that you are seeking info regarding your worries but aren't making drastic changes. It sounds like he is healthy but just a slow gainer. I would encourage you NOT to get caught up in his weight gain and keep looking to other signs that he is healthy. The poopy diapers are a great sign that he is getting plenty of milk! All babies gain at different rates - some of my babies would gain a ton the first 6 months and then
    they wouldn't gain for months. I would just trust that if he is wetting and pooping and seems healthy and content then he is doing great. Any supplementing by bottle will most likely have a negative affect on your breastfeeding relationship. Nursing him as much as possible will give him more milk and increase your supply. Keep up the good work - you're doing great!!

My lo has done almost the exact same thing. He was born at 5 lbs. 5 ozs. When we left the hospital he was 4 lbs 12 ozs. One crazy nurse didn't think we should be allowed to take him home. He is now 4.5 months and just weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs 13.9 ozs. He is in the 3rd percentile for weight but did drop off the charts for a while with weight gain issues. He never really 'filled out' though and I am a ftm and didn't know what everyone kept talking about. I am now on my 3rd pediatrician because the others wanted me to switch to formula, one even threatened to call cps on me and compared me to a prior patient who had fed her baby cabbage water because I felt like we could make the breast feeding work.
    We have supplemented. I have pumped and fed bottles. I have pumped and given bottles with formula mixed in. My son had tongue tie, we got that fixed at 7 weeks, the first two doctors insisted this wasn't the problem but within two days after the tongue tie was clipped his face started to chunk up. By that point my supply was so messed up that I went from struggling to have a supply to an oversupply since my son was then able to nurse to stimulate it himself. And he was by that point also addicted to the nipple shield. www.kellymom.com has suggestions to assist with weight gain. We took away the pacifier, that helped but was more helpful after the tongue tie was fixed. I pump off the foremilk. I just pump until it turns from clear to milkie white (my foremilk looks like water) I did pump and give every other or every third feeding as a bottle and that did help, sometimes I would add powdered formula to up the calories. But now that my supply is more stabilized he is direct breastfeeding and his weight gain is even better.
    My advice is listen to your instincts. Make sure your new dr is supportive, your old one sounds great, I wish I had my current pediatrician first he is a gem. It sounds like you are doing great. Just take each segment of time as you can. My husband was not supportive and that made things very difficult. You are doing awesome! As long as your baby is meeting milestones that is the real important thing and watch those wet diapers to make sure you lo is not dehydrated.
    Feel free to send me a note if you ever need to talk. I have been where you are. Good luck!